truly 'other games'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• truly 'other games'

does anyone here play other games as in non-computer games? like board games, or collectable card games... or minitatures games? i myself have just recently gotten back into legend of the five rings, and epic card game set in a feudal japan type place.

also, i have a sizeable Dark Angels force for warhammer 40k. to give an idea of exactly how big, i have recently fielded 3 land raiders. and the terminators to go in them.

------------------
    get together, let's collaborate
    this time the world will shake
    make a stand, for what it's worth
    get together, control the earth

Apolyton Legend
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

CCG: nah, too expensive. Once I sank a truckload of money into M:tG (Magic: The Gathering for those uninitiated ). The one big problem is they keep producing more stuff so you have to keep buying. Good money making trick for the publisher but sucks for the players.

Boardgames: yeah, used to play lots of them. The games we played most often include Civilization, Titan, Starfleet Battles, Talisman, Kings & Things, and British Rails. You can tell that we were into silly games than deeply involved ones such as Empire at Arms. We played some of the games so much that we knew all the optimized moves, or at least an optimizing strategy. The rest are either too complex or random for that to take place.

These games were a major time eater. Civilization or Titan easily took up a whole night as we usually started after 2100 (that's when the grad courses ended). SFB might be longer, might be shorter, depending on the scenario. Anything more than a dozen capital ships and a few fighters would take forever to complete. As a matter of fact, we had a computer program to aid in bookkeeping for the game.

Card games: mostly Bridge, Spade, Hearts, and something we called Back Alley Killer Bridge Substitute. I have no idea what its real name is . We used to play Nightmare Bridge ("Play till you drop.") all the time in the dorms.

Other games: Chess, Weichi (Go), and a few others.

[This message has been edited by Urban Ranger (edited August 15, 2000).]
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I never got into paper games, mainly because I never had anyone to play with. But I do play chess and Monopoly when I can. And of course, blackjack and poker.

I tried Go in college, but the guy who introduced me to it was a crazed mathmatical genius and I could never last very long, so I never really got into the game. Though lately I have been thinking about taking it up again.

Comment

The new M:TG sets are pretty pathetic in terms of card power so an older deck should be able to do pretty well against them. Heck, I still play M:TG, just that there aren't many people at the same level I can play against.
        *grumbles about work*

Comment

I never did look at the new sets. I started with Forth Edition of M:tG and stopped with homelands. I had some older stuff, such as Fallen Empires and the Dark. Ice Age got some really cool cards (no pun intended). I still have my cards here. Do you keep track of their prices? I am afraid the general trend is down but I haven't look at it for a few years.
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Kinjiru:

Hm, Go does have an elaborate handicap system just for the occasion. The most you can get is 25 stones placed on the board in a pre-arranged pattern. You should be able to do quite well against the strongest players with such a headstart.

Comment

i used to play magic, but i gave all my cards to my singer's girlfreind so she would take her top off for us. and it was her idea, too. the only magic card i have intentionally in my possesion is a signed lady of the mountain.
              I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
              [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

edge: that's rather silly if you ask me So what does this "Lady of the Mountain" do?

Comment

AD&D(rocks), MTG (like the preconstructed decks), Chess, Go, Axis&Allies, Civilization the Board Game (kicks ass), among others. I love board games, card games, computer games, anything to stop me from getting board.

"An idle mind is fertile ground for the Devil"

------------------
                  -Fitz
                  Non-Founder of Anarchists Ununited.
                  First Report of Anarchist Ununited Activities
                  Fitz. (n.) Old English
                  1. Child born out of wedlock.
                  2. Bastard.

Comment

I must say AD&D is just a poor excuse for an RPG. There's no character development after you have finished rolling some dice. Traveller was worse, though.

Some really great RPGs: Champions, Ars Magica, Fantasy Heroes, and Shadowrun.

Your mileage may vary.

Comment

Dunno if the preconstructed decks have any staying power, Fitz. It takes months of hard playing and deckbuilding to make a masterful creation that'll give you a chance. Then there's always the careful honing over time if you choose to follow that path.
                      *grumbles about work*

Comment

Or (ages ago) you spend lots of time and money making a bad theme deck! Orcish Cannoneers, artillery, circle red, chaoslace, whee...
                        "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                        "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                        "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

On the other hand, you might have a chance with a Goblin Sligh deck (not legal in Type II). Most of the cards are cheap, other then Ball Lightning, Hammer of Bogardan and Goblin King but still.
                          *grumbles about work*

Comment

I was always into blue/white control decks. White weenies decks could be interesting, too. Green has interesting cards though I couldn't really get into it. Never played red or black much.

The red/green "channel ball" deck was such a killer before it was made illegal.

Comment

Well, I'm more into weeenie decks. I've been toying with the concept of combining weenine decks with one or two huge creatures/generators.So far, its worked fine. But playing red is more luck of the draw then skill, i.e. if you get 3 mountains, a ball lightning and 2 of lightning bolts and fireblasts, and draw a mountain, you win (when not playing against a counter deck)

I'm always been interested in playing control, but never knew when to play it. I guess that I was never cut out for bluffing or waiting.
                              *grumbles about work*

Comment

Working...
                              X