The Morality of Abandonware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Morality of Abandonware

Is it okay to use abandonware? Do you think it's ethical or unethical?

(2...)

I think it's nonethical, the issue of whether it is good or bad doesn't enter into it.

If your asking if Abandonware is against copyright law, yes, it is 'bad' from a legal standpoint. But the claim that people (authors or more probably publishers) are suffering due to abandonware on the net is a bit dubious from an ethical standpoint because those titles are no longer published/supported, so there not actually taking any loss.

Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Maybe it's illegal, however since neither the author(s) nor the publisher are suffering from its use, so there's nothing unethical about it. On the other hand, this allows people to get more mileage from older hardware, thereby creating more values for the society and reducing waste, which is A Good Thing.

Some people may argue that, abandonware allows some people to gain access to older programs so they don't have to buy newer versions of the same programs, thus causing monetary damages to the copyright owners. There are a number of flaws to this argument:
        [*]This certainly doesn't apply to games, since newer versions of games aren't simply upgrades or, er, bugfixs, but entirely new programs based on the same theme or idea (e.g. MOO 2, Warlords 2 and 3). Sometimes the new versions are created by different teams (e.g. MOO 3) or even published by a different company (e.g. Railroad Tycoon 2).[*]The new versions usually have steeper hardware requirements and don't work on older hardware.[*]This allows people who have programs on damaged media recover programs they own.[*]This allows people who have programs on very old media (5 1/2" diskettes, for example) but without the proper drives access to programs they own. I am not even sure if you can buy a 5 1/2" drive these days.[/list]

Aabandonware certainly provide a valuable service to the society at large.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I think I can agree - as long as it is truly abandonware, not just old - Civ (1 I mean) is available in the UK stores so obviously is NOT abandonware - many of the abandonware sites contain labels that have not been truly abandoned and are thus really 'warez' - This cannot be justified on any legal, moral or ethical grounds - but as a 'victimless crime' occurs fairly universally.

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
        "The Great Library must be built!"
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Working...
        X