The Firestorm Saga: Released For Playtesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Firestorm Saga: Released For Playtesting

Ok, i'm a BIG Civ2 fan and a BIG WarCraft2 fan.

Seeing as we don't have an RTS forum for this sort of thing i'll post it here.

The Firestorm Saga is a campaign series add-on for W2 consisting of a manual, map and ten levels (puds).

It is set in the fictional south lands of Azeroth, not part of the original W2 game.

In it you lead the last survivor of the Burning Blade on a quest to save your people, build a new nation and bring final peace to Azeroth. But first you will have to contend with the armies of Agrabah and the Red Ridge Clan. The road ahead will not be easily tread...

If anyone is interested in beta testing this for please post your e-mail address here or send it to me privately.

Thank you.

I may not be the greatest Warcraft II player, but this sounds interesting. I give it a try (probably won't get too far though )
    dark_templar_25@hotmail.com
    *grumbles about work*

Comment

Thanx alot

I just sent the file.

Comment

I'm a big WC2 fan as well.

I'll test it: westbeach@altavista.com

------------------
        Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
        That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.

Comment

Still struggling through the first scenario. A couple observations:

-the lettering on the readme is partially obliterated on the right edge. Making each line shorter would be helpful.

-it take a considerable amount of time to destroy all of the walls. Aditionally, you have to manually tell the peons to attack the walls to destroy them (don't think you can change this though)

-the narrow areas iside the prision pretty much doom the catapult if you allow the humans to melee it.

-nice map! This feature is probably the most useful for getting into the Warcraft II atmosphere. Imight be mistaken, but isn't the Tower of Medivh somewhere in the mountain chain seperating the swamp areas of the Horde and Azeroth?

-a great effort. Now, back to getting out of the Tower...
          [This message has been edited by Shadowstrike (edited July 18, 2000).]
          *grumbles about work*

Comment

quote:

-the lettering on the readme is partially obliterated on the right edge. Making each line shorter would be helpful.

I'll have to fix that thanx for telling me. You can view the readme in notepad by opening the file readme.dox. The storyline is crucial to gameplay and understanding your opponents and who the heroes represent.

quote:

-it take a considerable amount of time to destroy all of the walls. Aditionally, you have to manually tell the peons to attack the walls to destroy them (don't think you can change this though)

Can't fix the peon thing. The idea is that this is a jail. You must break out.
            Hint: Build your city inside the prison before breaking away the outer walls.

quote:

-the narrow areas iside the prision pretty much doom the catapult if you allow the humans to melee it.

Uh, can you explain this? Rescue your units first, then move them out of the way and destroy the walls.

quote:

-nice map! This feature is probably the most useful for getting into the Warcraft II atmosphere. Imight be mistaken, but isn't the Tower of Medivh somewhere in the mountain chain seperating the swamp areas of the Horde and Azeroth?

Thanx. Medivh is where it's supposed to be. Right on the Red Ridge Mountains. This map is of the south lands, not part of the original game. In the W1 manual. Where the map ends in the south... This one starts in the north.

quote:

-a great effort. Now, back to getting out of the Tower...

Thanx.
            Just wait till you get to level ten.
            [This message has been edited by WarVoid (edited July 18, 2000).]

Comment

And I just e-mailed it to you Leonidas.
              Thanx.

Comment

At this point in the campaign I'm out of the prison. Here are my first initial thoughts:

1) This campaign has had some real thought put into it. The readme text is very helpful with the story line. Well done.

2) The little overview map in the zip file was nice. It reminded me of Age of Empires.

3) Breaking down all the prison walls was a bit tedious, but once done, I felt a real sense of accomplishment.

4) It is nicely paced. It reminds me of what I liked about Warcraft: You have time to build; breaking out into the unknown; surprises thrown your way. I'm looking forward to finishing this campaign.

Suggestions:

1) Once I broke out of prison all units (including peasants) made a mad rush for me. Every human alliance unit was obliterated easily. I don't know if there is a way to keep the peasants from rushing my units or not (they were after my gold mine). It might have been better to keep all peasants at work in the village, with a few military units and guard towers nearby to protect them. This would make the breakout and advance on the village a bit tougher (although at this point I don't know what surprises still await me ).

Overall, very good so far. No problems of any sort. I'll keep you posted as I go...

------------------

Comment

Good point. I had the same problem with the campaign when I playtested it myself. But I have tried various methods to try and stop those peaseants from doing the mad rush thing, but to no avail.

If I give them more forest and a bigger mine to harvest they get way too much supply and build a massive army that cannot be defeated.

The only possible thing I can try is to let the humans start with only one peasant instead of four... That might prevent them from building so many so fast...

Thanx for testing.
                  Level 1 is hard, just wait till level 10.

Comment

Finished Level 1:

1) Overall, very good. A nice scenario to ease into the campaign.

2) I ran into a couple of unexpected surprises! I thought those skeletons and bat thing in the enclosure were on my side! What a rude awakening when they attacked me Nice one WarVoid.

3) Another surprise when that bat thingy in the bottom right-hand corner attacked my peons - wasn't expecting that one.

4) Defeated all Alliance forces fairly easily (I built a zeppelin and scouted the whole map).

Suggestions:

1) To keep the peasants from rushing the Horde when they first break out of prison, I would suggest giving the gold mine at the bottom right-hand corner of the map to the Alliance. This will keep the peasants busy. As the horde, I found taking that second gold mine gave me way too much gold for this scenario. Just the one gold mine in the prison should be more than enough to do the job.

2) In the small village at the bottom, I would place at least two or three more guard towers, plus at least a few more military units or a couple of those bat things.

Overall an excellent job

Now it's time for level two...

------------------

Comment

Level 2:

WarVoid - you are an evil scenario designer (hehe). I lost every unit I had I suffered a humiliating defeat. The Human Alliance actually tracked me down, encircled me, and utterly massacred me... Well done

I still haven't gotten over the shock. I thought I was a pretty good player. It's rare that I lose, especially against the computer. Your first level led me into a false sense of accomplishment.

I like the way you have it set up - you never know who is friend or foe - you have to watch out in every direction. Very well done. I want to play this level again. I am now a man on a mission...

I sure hope there's a gold mine somewhere that I can use...

Well, back to the battle...

------------------

Comment

Glad to know i'm doing my job.

Comment

Finished Level 2:

1) Won the scenario. The key to victory is to attack the Human Alliance settlement as soon as possible. Otherwise they will build a huge army and it's massacre time. Once the settlement was destroyed, the scenario was a piece of cake. Well done. I might suggest placing two guard towers in the settlement (one at each end) to at least slow down this quick attack. But very well done

Finished level 3:

1) This level was the easiest one to finish so far. It felt a lot like the second level. I finished off the Human Alliance without even needing the troops in the enclosure in the middle at the bottom. I really took my time getting to the Alliance settlement but I didn't meet much opposition. Perhaps putting in a few more peasants and a couple of guard towers will prevent this quick and easy victory. Place one guard tower at every crossing point, and place two guard towers in the Alliance settlement. I lost only one unit.

------------------
                          [This message has been edited by Leonidas (edited July 21, 2000).]
                          [This message has been edited by Leonidas (edited July 22, 2000).]

Comment

Level 4:

1) This scenario was unplayable from the very beginning. There was no town hall and there were no resources to build one.

2) I re-started this scenario and manually placed in maximum resources to see how it would play out. Very well done. I wouldn't change anything in the scenario except either putting in the town hall or providing sufficient resources to build one. I won this scenario, but it was a tough fight. I barely hung on when the computer landed troops and practically wiped me out. That was a close one

------------------

Comment

Great comments/work. Thanx.
                              I'm jotting all this stuff down to fix for version 2. Of which you'll have to be in the credits now.

Comment

Working...
                              X