Flight Sims, and Joysticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight Sims, and Joysticks

Wow, it's been awhile since I've been to Apolyton... It is amazing what getting a serious girlfriend will do to your gaming...

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice on the best pc flight simulators. I would prefer WWII era, played from all sides. I'd like dogfights, tankbusting, perhaps a bit of torpedo-bombing or divebombing.
    Also, I have no clue what the best joystick is out there. I'd go for anything under $100 American. Is the more buttons the better? Or are some of the less complex ones known to be greats.

Any thoughts?

P.S.- Anybody with knowledge of a good Submarine simulator would be helpful too. Apparently the 'Silent Hunter' series is out of print (or so says my local software store).

------------------
    I am the Ukrainian Anti-Pope!

Mmmm, flightsims...

First of all, be sure to visit these sites for links and info (I recommend at least checking the Combatsim forums):
    www.combatsim.com

www.simhq.com

www.dogfighter.com

Now, for your questions:

quote:

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice on the best pc flight simulators. I would prefer WWII era, played from all sides. I'd like dogfights, tankbusting, perhaps a bit of torpedo-bombing or divebombing.

Right now the best boxed game is probably European Air War (I've only played the ancient demo, but the fan base is huge, and the game has been updated and enhanced regularly).
    If you like multiplayer and don't mind monthly fees, Warbirds is excellent. It has every conceivable plane you could ever wish for, and the program itself is a free download (it's worth it, even if you only fly it offline!).
    In the works are two sims, Il-2 Sturmovik and B-17 Flying Fortress II. They both seem extremely good, and I for one plan to buy both.
    If you wish to try non-WW2 flightsims, Falcon 4 (of course!) and Comanche/Hokum (together with Apache/Havoc) are great.

quote:

Also, I have no clue what the best joystick is out there. I'd go for anything under $100 American. Is the more buttons the better? Or are some of the less complex ones known to be greats.

Since your preferred pricetag is under $100, you probably don't want to invest in a HOTAS system and pedals. For an all-purpose stick the Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro (Precision Pro is probably even better 'cuz it's newer) is great. It all the necessary buttons, a throttle and even "pedals" (the handle can be twisted sideways, a great invention IMO), and the price is very reasonable (I paid $50 for mine three years ago).

quote:

P.S.- Anybody with knowledge of a good Submarine simulator would be helpful too. Apparently the 'Silent Hunter' series is out of print (or so says my local software store).

I think you can still find SH in bundle deals, that's how I got mine here in Finland.
    The only recent sub sim is Jane's 688, it's supposedly very good, but also hard (well, you are the one-man crew of a nuclear sub... ).

[This message has been edited by Jaakko (edited May 26, 2000).]
    "On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
    - Lone Star

Comment

Here's the URL for Warbirds:
      http://www.iencentral.com/warbirds/fs_start.html
      "On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
      - Lone Star

Comment

Well, I played this WWI-era flight simulator, called Red Baron

Yes, WWI not WWII

Edit: originally posted wrong-forum-post
        [This message has been edited by Andz83 (edited May 26, 2000).]

Comment

A good WWII flight sim is Air Warrior 3. Once you've acquired the game, you can play it online at www.gamestorm.com.

------------------
          "I'm not killing people, I'm making martyrs."
          Thousands of monkeys are creating havoc in the corridors of power, barging into government offices, stealing food, threatening bureaucrats, and even ripping apart valuable documents.

Hey! That dried vomit under the couch looks like a horny toad.

Comment

Working...
          X