What about 3d-Action Games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about 3d-Action Games?

I think only playing CivGames and other round-based or realtime strategy games becomes boring with time. And when I become angry because the enemy's able to simply destroy one of my units whenevr he wants it in MOM, then I start my (illegal) Metallica MP3s and load DOOM2 or QUAKE2 or QUAKE3 ARENA.

Aaah, nice feeling to fully read those titles. They're prohibited in Germany (at least for people under 18 years just like mine...)!

What do you guys/gals think about 3D-Action Games?

I played Wolfenstein 3D (Spear of Destiny) way back and loved it. It was followed up by Doom which then started the whole 3D action phenomenom. I hated Doom because I don't play any games involving devils, demons, robots or aliens, which rules out 99.9% of all 3D action titles. Except one, which is one of my top 3 favorite games of all time: Outlaws. Set in the Old West, great story, tough action (must be really patient and think) and the best soundtrack of any game ever released. It came out in 1997, you should still be able to buy it on-line.

Comment

I like a game where you can win the first time through without having to know where the enemies are and work your way up skill levels.. shooters are a little too brainless for me to buy But if someone sends me a CD then I'll play it for a while, unreal was pretty lame but I liked Halflife.
      ~I like eggs.~

Comment

I play realistic 3d-shooters (like Rogue Spear and H&D) and story driven ones (System Shocks are the best, but stuff like Requiem and Half-life is nice too...oh, and let's not forget Heretic 2!).

Quakes and Unreals just bore me, it's all so purposeless.

Soldier of Fortune (I played the demo) interested me for a while, but the vaunted violence was really quite tame, especially when the graphics engine is so unsophisticated...and I whoever made the sounds should be shot so he could finally find out what a firearm sounds like...it's not "bof"...

I also like mecha, IMO HG2 and MW3 are much more than most shooters could ever hope to be.

[This message has been edited by Jaakko (edited April 11, 2000).]
        "On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
        - Lone Star

Comment

I played my share of DOOM, but then repented from all the violence.

The best part was the fact this game was so immersive! I still remember the first time I got ambushed... You just couldn't get that feeling from Atari! Another time I opened a door and killed everything in site. I was about to walk in when a bull-guy jumped out. That freaked me out so bad (after 5 straight hours of DOOM, at 4am) that I fired every bullet in the gattling gun. The bull-guy was dead but I just kept firing. That night I had DOOM dreams. Ugh! Much better to have Civ dreams.

Comment

I used to enjoy playing Quake on the network at school, but now I'm a bit sick of it. Each sequel that comes is mainly just an advance in graphics and perhaps a slight improvement of the weapons - not much else. Unreal and Unrealt Tournament were a nice change when I played them but ultimately IMHO they fail because the programmers seemed to have been more focused on designing a game that could outdo Quake more than anything else.

Comment

I've played Doom2 and Corridor 7. They're great for when you come home after a really frustrating day, and you just wanna blast someone.

LucasArts' Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games are pretty cool too. My favorite part is when you're escaping down the aquaducts leading from your family home, and you have to move over onto some tilted I-beams holding up a platform hundreds of feet in the air.

Comment

Well I've played Doom2 and also Rogue Spear for the pc, as well as Medal of Honor for the Playstation.
                There is something about the 3d style of play using first person perspective....it's like the logical progression of the old top-view Nintendo and Atari games we all had. Third person perspective is nice too, don't get me wrong. But 1st gets you right up in there, bumrushing through all those rooms...it's easy to get into it like Slingshot was saying.
                There are differences though, Rogue Spear and Doom are worlds apart. Play RS like you play Doom, and you'll be shot by someone you never saw in 2 seconds. Medal of Honor is by far the best 1st person shooter on the PSX. It's got a bit of stealth, and requires great dexterity (analog controller is a must!), but gives you that fast assault felling that gets out your frustrations.
                But after I'm all pumped up, I'll cool it down with a bit of Civ, make some trade routes, establish alliances, then tear up the Ai again.

------------------
                I am the Ukrainian Anti-Pope!

Comment

Working...
                X