CTP 3 SMAC 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTP 3 SMAC 1

while smac was prigninal in some sense the lack of units and the unorginality in design bothered me. Also I did not like the landscape as much it seemed boring to me. I have enjoyed CTP much more so far than SMAC

In SMAC you can create units yourself so that there hardly is a lack of different units.
    I'm not a SMAC fan at all but I like to be fair.

Octopus

Comment

No, after playing SMAC, the unit workshop didn't appeal to me. I mean, all you ever really need is the latest and greatest units... one for defense, one for attack, one for water, one for the air, and occasionally a unit with special abilities for special situations.

But the editor runs like a pig on my P2-233 96 Mb system.

And the units all pretty much look alike in SMAC.
      Your mileage may vary.

Comment

CTP's graphics are better than SMAC's yes.
        But SMAC's interface is way better IMO - gameplay's better as well.

Comment

The review in cdmag.cm is very good. Here's the conclusion:

" Civilization and Civilization II are The Godfather and Godfather II of the gaming world, works of absolute genius that will always stand as shining landmarks in their respective industries. Civilization: Call to Power is the Godfather III of the gaming world, an ambitious attempt to follow greatness that ends up wallowing in its own mediocrity and inviting comparison to works far better than itself. Its developers seem to be out of their league and many of the game's design flubs are just plain embarrassing. "

Comment

On the bright side there's plenty of room for improvement…

Comment

SMAC kills CTP. Actually I think that CTP is kinda lame - sorry guys
              Maybe I just haven't gotten into it yet, oh well.
              Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
              Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Smac is the best for me, but you are really comparing two types of games - a sci-fi game vs a historical game. Some people will be biased towards one type or the other.

Fred Strauss
                Madison, WI, USA

Comment

I agree..SMAC's graphics are real bears. Especially in the unit editor. The graphics aren't all that great either. However, the unit editor is fun for customizing units, like putting colony pods on helicopters and hovertank chassis..get them there quick, and for building SUPER units. Big on production, but a 24/24/3 hovertank can take the city and keep it. And it has much better videos and voice acting
                  However, CTP...ugh. I have a K6-2 300 with 32 mgs and it runs so incredibly slow on my computer it is ridiculous. I have to wait 30 sec for one of the little menus to pop up. The graphics are better, and the animations are cool, but it is sloppy. Especially the AI's blatant stupidity and the fact that the old city screen is gone. Instead of managing everything about my city just by clicking on it..now I have to go through a gazillion menus. The PW function is great, I hated watching the AI murder my settlers.
                  Overall..they are both really buggy, but at least firaxis is quick about fixes. And SMAC has a cooler acronym..it sounds more addictive..I need another hit of SMAC! Still, HAIL TO THE KING BABY...Im heading back to Civ2 with its nice, easy interface.

Comment

Working...
                  X