• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAC demo is out

ZDNet now has a SMAC demo. check out:
    http://www.zdnet.com/swlib/lpad/smac.html

Thanks to Kwang for the tip.

Now we can at least see how good one of these new games is.

AC is pretty cool, a huge change from civ 2 and civ (not just the terrain either)

Comment

It was REALLY confusing at first but then it got better. I still think it may be a bit too complex. One major gripe, the units are too big and they cover up the tiles and when they're all bunched up around a spot, its hard to distinguish between individual units. I hate those xenofungi!!!

But there are two things that SMAC has that CTP should have never left out: borders, and end-of-game historical replay.
      The honorary duty of a human being
      is to love, I am human and nothing
      human can be alien to me.

-Maya Angelou

Comment

Overall, I give it a 7.5. That may get higher when I play it more. I was just about to conquer the hive when 2200 came - argh!
        The honorary duty of a human being
        is to love, I am human and nothing
        human can be alien to me.

-Maya Angelou

Comment

Not bad. Not Revolutionary, but not bad. I'd give it an 8. The diplomatic functions work well. I was elected planetary Governor (as Peacekeepers), switched to Democracy and Planned Economy. Gaians weren't having any of my "waste," and declared a Vendetta. I was on my way to their territory with a military detatchment when the game timed out.

The interface is a bit confusing at first, but it seems to get better. The graphics are well enough (although CTP's seem much better), they suffice the game. I found the tutorials helpful. And pretty fun overall.

I'm not absolutely blown away, but I'm satisfied. Now we just need a CTP demo and all will be well. I can't figure out for the life of me, however, why ths release date is mid-February when they already have a demo version out.

Red Trotskyite,
          POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

Comment

I give it a 6.

The graphics are well, just graphics.
            The units aren't too pretty. I wish they
            could be a little sharper.

But I like terraforming that butt ugly terrain into something nice. Although terraforming is really complex in this one.

Although the "feel" of the game is really nice. I like capturing the mindworms and using them. And I like the complexity and mysteriousness of the diplomacy and the planet, with the obelisks and the other stuff that you find.

Comment

Hey, what's the deal with the replay?

It doesn't show territory gained on the ocean.

Comment

I'd give the game a 9. It took me forever to figure out how to change production (right-click, then choose change production) and the units are a bit fuzzy.

I liked the AI and the diplomacy options. I've long been waiting for a "Give ALL Techs" option. Instant replay could use a save as *.avi or *.gif animation option, or at least a replay again option, but it was rather nice.:-)

CtP has to be really good to beat this game, the Firaxis hasn't lost its magic touch!
                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I'm not excited with the smac demo yet...
                  20 turns, 3 crashes

Other than that, my main problem is what I feared: learning what every single unit, advance, term means. It's all SF so you actually know nothing when you begin(for similar reasons I hardly play scenarios with altered units and techs in civ2)...

On the other hand, the new diplomacy options look interesting, and I haven't checked terraforming yet...

And yes, I think that CTP's graphics are better...

Markos, Apolyton CS

Comment

Man that terrain is weird!
                    Got really confused sometimes...
                    Well, I'll get used to it.

Comment

It plays alot better than civ2 but i found the graphic not really there. Also I didn't really know how to select techs it just asked me what areas i like to get (or is that how you decide what tech you like to get) also i didn't know what some of the things did but that will all change when i get the game, then the manuak can tell me what to do!

Overall i give the demo a 7.5 because when i was going to wipe out the spartans will my UoP people my time expired.

fred

p.s. sorry for my writting but i've lost alot of sleep playing SMAC and a new game my brother got for Christmas called Rainbow Six. any one here play rainbow six, its amazing! if you are looking for a 3d shooterbut don't like quake stile games get rainbow six. its more realistic and there is a little bit of strategy too.
                      i am the great one:)
                      and leader of the cow cult

Comment

You know where my score is close to . Well, I love the research. Instead of researching a certain tech (which you should have no idea knowing at that point), you research an area, and the scientists consentrate on that area. I also like the diplomacy stuff. There is a lot more to do with other factions. I can't wait to get the game now (Btw, it's not being released until Feb, because EA wants a simultanious world release and has to write the manuals in foreign languages, DAMN THEM!) Anyway, I must disagree with the most here, and cast a vote for SMAC graphics. Why? The 3d terrain is stunning, but the units aren't really that great looking. Although graphics don't really matter in a game like this, I'm glad Firaxis decided to change up the graphics (the first screenshots were hideous!). Anyway, I'm looking forward to exploring the whole game, with the space combat and satellites (I wonder how that will work). I also want to see those new special project videos!! I loved the preview, now I can't wait until Feb 9th! Now I gotta go play some more, try out new factions, new strengths, and new economic models and governments (nice touch on the economic models and stuff).

Imran Siddiqui
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I didn't realize it was going to be so much like Civ2. It's like playing Civ2 on another (unfamiliar) planet. That being the case, it gets kind of confusing knowing what certain things will do. I didn't think that it added enough new features (over Civ2) to warrant my buying it. The gameplay seemed a bit too complex.

I didn't like having to move units multiple times to get them up hills (I didn't like it in Civ2, either, but here it is worse). Moving units was too confusing for two reasons:

1. For some reason Firaxis decided to make the selected unit's shield flash instead of the unit itself. But all the units have the same shield style, so it doesn't really help identify which unit you are moving.

2. The units center of standing are off-center from the square, making it difficult to tell which square they are actually in. A similar thing occured in Civ2 with the Howitzer unit, but here it is a lot worse.

The personalities of the different factions really didn't seem to play much of a part in the game from what I saw. It seems like no matter who you talk to, they always had some rediculous reason for declaring war on you.

I found xenofungus to be a somewhat frustatring limitation of development, and the whole premise of terraforming seemed a bit too complex. Likewise, custom units was not something that I messed around with much (the prebuilt designs seemed to work the best anyway).

I liked the choice of technologies as they seemed rather realistic and yet imaginative. I miss the ability to choose which path along the tech tree to take, though.

I noticed that the units have the multiple facings like how C:CTP will have. That's too bad, seeing as it ruins customization a bit. Anybody know how customizable SMAC will be? I didn't like the planet texture very well (it wasn't very pleasant to look at), but I like the water better than the elevated oceans that we see in C:CTP screenshots. The animations on the map were kind of neat (nice and smooth). I wonder if the final game will also have some movie clips.

Overall, I give the game a 6.5. But then, this is based on my playing only one and a half games so far.

Comment

How do the borders work in SMAC ?
                            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I don't like it at all...Is Sid Meiers starting to be old ? Playability is much less clear than in civ and fantasy invention are totally unrealistics...I will not buy it !

Comment

Working...
                              X