My new toy - MS Flight Sim '98

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with St. Leo.

His post was deleted before I read it, but I just know HE WENT THERE !
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

yeah I bought a different controller just for this game as well. I don't even think that old flight stick will work with windows XP.

Now I feel like installing it.

I remember back in my commodore 64 I had one of these types of games. I can't remember the name. It starts you off in Chicago O'Hare airport. And everything is green, and you have som weird lines that you have no clue what they are supposed to represent. But I still played the hell out of that game.

As I said, I can land if the land is flat. And I can kind sorta land on runways, although I often run off the runways into the grass . but at least I can land without crashing.

Now if I could master the carrier landing...

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
        Now if I could master the carrier landing...
        It's possible. At least in 5.1 it was...
        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
        And notifying the next of kin
        Once again...

Comment

i read on another forum some people play virtual airlines online via flight sims. the thing is they fly real routes in real time. la to tokyo is hours of non-stop fun...
          Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

Hmm, methinks I'll stick with the game I play.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident

yeah I bought a different controller just for this game as well. I don't even think that old flight stick will work with windows XP.
              im reluctant to go out and buy a joystick, just for a game that cost me $5. Maybe I'll try getting it work using the mouse. Meanwhile Ive put it aside, I already got $5 worth of gameplay out of it.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Another game I threw in the bin, had some fun with the first few hours then got gobsmackingly bored with.

Nothing to race against, nothing to shoot down...

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                i have no friends or relations who, say, kill orcs in real life.

....that you know of...
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

try MS Flight sim 2k2
                  Kermit the frog

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                    Another game I threw in the bin, had some fun with the first few hours then got gobsmackingly bored with.

Nothing to race against, nothing to shoot down...
                    Well i suppose you could race against the clock. See how fast you can get from place to place.

Nothing to shoot down. Well, after alot of time playing PG2, and then Imp2, i was in the mood for something with no violence.

Some say, a flight sim. No goals. Well.

My goals - to learn to make controlled turns, such that I can achieve the heading I want. Then, learn to land.

Next. Learn more about aircraft handling, etc. Make a flight plan.

Try flying a harder plane than a Cessna. Try a jumbo jet. Fly under a bridge. Between hirises. Land on a carrier. etc. See the world.

Then there are additional planes to download, airports, scenery. And if im bored with it by that point, i can always move on to a combat flight sim
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I wouldn't neccisarily call all combat flight sims violent.

When flying a (tactical and especially strategical) bomber in WW2 Online, for instance, You're high enough to be removed from the action on the ground (tanks, if you can even spot them, look like ants) and you aren't going to win any dog fights, so you should be trying to stay clear of any enemy aircraft. All you have to do is learn to avoid said aircraft by flying in formation with fighters (and preferably someone controling the rear/side turrets in your bomber), knowing how to drop a bomb with some accuracy, and listening to the guys on the ground to know where to put them. If you're doing it right, you won't ever get face-to-face with an enemy.
                      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                        I wouldn't neccisarily call all combat flight sims violent.

When flying a (tactical and especially strategical) bomber in WW2 Online, for instance, You're high enough to be removed from the action on the ground (tanks, if you can even spot them, look like ants) and you aren't going to win any dog fights, so you should be trying to stay clear of any enemy aircraft. All you have to do is learn to avoid said aircraft by flying in formation with fighters (and preferably someone controling the rear/side turrets in your bomber), knowing how to drop a bomb with some accuracy, and listening to the guys on the ground to know where to put them. If you're doing it right, you won't ever get face-to-face with an enemy.

Well theres violence, and theres graphic violence. I meant that i wanted a break from even "strategic level violence" or antiseptic violence. I suppose there are some environmentalists and antiglobalists who would consider buring fuel on a pleasure air flight an act of violence, but im not one of them.

Comment

Working...
                        X