Beyond Good and Evil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyond Good and Evil

I heard good things, so I picked it up for $20 for my X-Box. WOW... why didn't more people buy this AMAZING game?! It's absolutely wonderful! Great graphics, magnificent story, fun puzzles and just very nicely made.

It's a big mystery why it didn't sell. Kind of like System Shock II and NOLF2, great games that should have sold more.

Here is the end of Gamespy.com's review:

Experiencing BG&E is like interacting with a really good movie. It offers the richest, most original and intriguing world I've seen in a video game since Deus Ex, and is the best modern Zelda-style adventure game outside of Zelda itself. In fact, I like it more than Wind Waker, since it lacks WW's tedious midgame and has a story worth caring about. It's a pity that it's over all too soon, leaving me wanting more of just about everything. That's enough to keep me from awarding the highest score, but only barely. Beyond Good and Evil completely lives up to the first half of its title: It's great.
    Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; May 15, 2004, 03:46.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

... "great story"?

I found it pretty dull after a while. All the 'puzzles' amount to pretty much the same thing and they are often either explained to you, so as to not be difficult, or rely on jumping around, ect... But I guess the game is alright in a lame consoley sort of a wait.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I got it today for £15(second-hand) on xbox, it is very nicely done - great graphics/sounds, decent characters etc, it feels like a lot of effort went into making it.
      Truely over looked by most i understand.

Still i'm not a great fan of heavily scripted games(re-play value?), and the puzzles so far have been easy - a good game for younger/casual players maybe?
      I'll wait for my girlfriends verdict as she has more experience with console games, but so far for £15 i really can't complain
      'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

It's available on pc too
        Reviews on the game were very good. Btw how do you know it didn't sell?

PS: most people are morons: after all why else are CS and the Sims so popular
        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

"great story"?

Yes, great story . How many other games have the main character be a photographer who has to expose the truth. Very inventive.

decent characters

Indeed! You really get to feel for the characters.

Btw how do you know it didn't sell?

Because after a month or so, the price of it dropped from $40 to $20.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            "great story"?

Yes, great story . How many other games have the main character be a photographer who has to expose the truth. Very inventive.
            I agree that the premise is good, but the actual story itself is cheesy and filled with cliches.

The photgraphy isn't implemented all that well, either... it's basically just replacing the cross hairs with a camera lens. I remember playing a pokemon game many years ago on the N64, which was the first time that diea was used I think, and even it had a bit more of an interesting system that required you to frame things well and get it in focus.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I didn't buy it because I heard it was very short (about 15 hours of gameplay, IRC) Is it me or games are getting shorter and shorter? I didn't buy Splinter Cell: Pandora tomorow for the same reason.
              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

the actual story itself is cheesy and filled with cliches.

It's a video game dude! It's required to be cheesy and clicheistic!

photgraphy isn't implemented all that well, either... it's basically just replacing the cross hairs with a camera lens.

Yeah... but the mere fact of having the photography angle is good. If I had to focus things and frame crap, I'd go nuts. I already have problems capturing those animals!

I didn't buy it because I heard it was very short

Well for $20, the shortness becomes less of a problem .

Comment

It's a video game dude! It's required to be cheesy and clicheistic!
                  Coming from someone who likes the Game Cube, and Pirates! 3 this isn't surprising. You obviously have the tastes and standards of a six year old.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Wonderful ad hominem attack... of course seeing as I don't have a Gamecube and people of many ages like Pirates! 2 (There is no such thing as Pirates! 3), perhaps you should learn to educate yourself before making such attacks. But I guess that is too much to ask, for you to actually have a ****ing brain.

Besides, why should your opinion count? You're a vegetarian for God's sake .

Comment

I completely agree with Imran. Excellent game. Only problem is, as poorly as it sold, it's not getting a sequel, which the ending well demands.

My complaint about the game is that the stealth isn't very good. Far too easy to run around a corner or drop in an easily searched area and call it an escape. But I liked everything else, especially the camera.
                      All syllogisms have three parts.
                      Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

wtf is wrong with vegetarians!! you foul flesh eating mass slaughterer.
                        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Well for $20, the shortness becomes less of a problem .
                          Yes. However, renting it is still cheaper. Which I did. And it's a fun little game with very nice graphics.
                          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

wtf is wrong with vegetarians!!

Ludd is one... sorry, guilt by association gets you .

Comment

Wonderful ad hominem attack... of course seeing as I don't have a Gamecube and people of many ages like Pirates! 2 (There is no such thing as Pirates! 3), perhaps you should learn to educate yourself before making such attacks.
                              Attacks? It was merely an observation. It's not surprising that someone who likes childish games would expect video games to have 'cheesy and clicheistic' plots.

(There is no such thing as Pirates! 3)
                              That's what's being made, isn't it? I remember you defending the disney graphics of it.

You're a vegetarian for God's sake
                              which only shows that I have good taste.

My complaint about the game is that the stealth isn't very good. Far too easy to run around a corner or drop in an easily searched area and call it an escape. But I liked everything else, especially the camera.
                              That reminds me of my biggest complaint about it... the camera. Maybe it was different for the console version (camera controls?) but the PC port has horrible pre-set camera views that switch directions mid-stride, zoom up to ridiculous levels, don't show you what you want to see, ect... it can be very frustrating at certain points.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                              X