"Realistic" Space Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Realistic" Space Game

I'm looking for a "realistic" space game/simulation for my son. Something that models the current Solar System, with current and near-future technologies and vehicles, no aliens/WarpDrive/WormHoles, along the lines of Colonization - building space stations at L5 and the Moon, developing a base on Mars, asteroids, etc. Should have some simulation of orbital mechanics issues. Any suggestions?

I think more people here would know about these things
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Try this one; it's free. http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/~martins/orbit/orbit.html
      Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
      Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

sounds mor elike an educational program than agmae to me
        :-p

Comment

It's a straight flight sim.
          Visit First Cultural Industries
          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

But it's free!
            Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
            Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Interesting, but that looks like just Space Shuttle and ISS. Any suggestions for Solar System level sims, with predefined scenarios and build/make/explore capabilities?

Comment

Not likely. I've never heard of such a game, anyways.
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

'Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space' ,by Interplay 1992.

I'm not sure if it covered colonisation of mars, but it deals with the moon race etc - its quite a fun game, but can be counted as a true simulator of the space race. Depending on how old your son is it might be a bit too technical?(It covers project budgets etc and other more complicated things).
                  'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

It deals mostly with the 1950s, 60s, and 70s. You get to play as either USA or USSR (though there aren't too many differences besides cosmetic ones) and the goal is to get to the Moon first.
                    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I was going to suggest that too, but I don't think it's really what he's looking for. It's pretty limited.
                      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

The only game vaguely along those lines I can think of is Frontier (Elite II) - that did have a relatively realistic model of the solar system, and decent physics (except for the warp drive thing, which was specifically banned...) and of course the solar system is only one, fairly insignificant place in a big galaxy...

Comment

I would love a game where you could colonise the moon and mars in a sim/civ style game.

Maxis was working on Sim Mars for awhile, and even got in touch with NASA for accuracy, but the game was dropped. Probably in favour for the pathetic Sims add on packs.
                          Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

You make that sound like a bad thing.
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

How about making a forum game?

Comment

Working...
                              X