What Games Do You Miss the Most....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Games Do You Miss the Most....

We all remember the great classics that were X-WING and it's sequel, TIE Fighter - games still unsurpassed in their genre. After years of collecting dust, these two giants were recently installed with the hopes of many hours of enjoyment and nostalgia.

With TIE Fighter successfully installed, I clicked to start the game. First problem. It continues to insist I have DirectX5.something installed, but even when I click to install it, the game doesn't start. Using the program compatibility wizard so that the game will run under Win95, I was able to start the game. Ah, memories.

Until I beat the first mission.

Crash. Restart. Complete mission. Crash. Repeat.

TIE Fighter just doesn't get along with XP. My dreams have been crushed.

I experienced similar difficulty with Star Trek: Klingon Academy not fully working with Windows XP.

Ah well. Guess I will have to put TIE Fighter II on my list, along with Rebellion II, for LucasArts to work on.

Come, share your tales of woe and sorrow. Together, we will overcome.

I would say MoM, but I just got it working a couple weeks ago.

Can't say I've had any difficulty with any other game... especially now that I've figured out (read the readme ) DosBox.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

DosBox you say....

Comment

I checked out their website, and it says it supports TIE Fighter.

Is there yet hope?

Comment

How does one go about using this program DosBox? I installed it, tried to scan the readme, but have had no success with the dos window.

EDIT: Found the DosBox forums.

Comment

You have to read the list of commands and hotkeys to get it working properly, though. Be sure to rev up the cpu cycles or it'll run a sloth's pace.
            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Settlers 3.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Oubliette
                Which was a game I played on a PC that didn't have a hard drive (anyone else remember PC's before hard drives?) It was a single floppy (5 1/4 inch) disk, and basically black and white text based (graphics consisted of a map on the screen).

It was a great game for me in the early 80's and I found it again online about 4 years ago or so, and tried installing and playing it again, but with limited success as I got the game to load, but regularly got errors which caused the game to fail or freeze up my windows 98 computer.
                "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Is this aboot DOS gmaes only? I miss a lot of he old n6 games. ZELDA w/ the ocarina of time, and mrio 64, and waverace 64, and goldeneye, and Wcw/Nwo revenge, and Wrestlemania 2k. Those were classic
                  Of course I also miss donkey Kong on the SNES, and the original zelda and Mario. Genesis had many mucho good games too. Toejam nad Earl, Earthworm Jim, Gunstar Heroes, Sonic, Mortla Kombat.
                  Ahhh nostalgia.
                  Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                  Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

I lost my copy of tie fighter

Comment

My Command & Conquer cd stopped working, so I used it as a drink coaster. Years and years later, it is still being used. Half the cd is completely clear though, both the black printing on the top of the cd and the reflective bit underneath have slowly deteriorated to nothingness.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I did thta with my gta2 disc for the same reason.

Comment

I also actually use incorrectly burnt (backups obviosuly) cds as coasters, instead of just calling them that. I've had one for ages, but it needs replacing. Must get burning.

Comment

AOL discs make good ninja stars in a pinch!

Comment

X-com. It just runs too fast. I know there are progams to slow your computer down, I just haven't bothered with them. Perhaps when I'm in a serious craze for x-com I will.

Comment

Working...
                              X