Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual items in RPGs

The pencil and paper variety, mind you.

What sort of unusual items have you received or given out in RPG campaigns?

This one I got in an AD&D campaign was quite powerful. A pair of gloves that cannot be pierced, cut, torn, or otherwise damaged, it grants +2 strength and halves distance penalties for ranged attacks. The unusual part is my character could "grab" incoming spells from mid-air. If successful, that spell is negated. Furthermore, he could use the levels in grabbed spells to power his own [he's a ranger -- what else do you expect ] without using up the ones in his memory.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

I had a bag made out of a dragon liver. It never weighed anything, and you could put whatever you wanted in it. You could later retrieve it only if you named the object in the correct tongue. That was a great way to carry good food along.
    There was also a magical chair which ran away and bit those who would sit on it. It had managed to escape its creator because the door of the College of High Arts had helped it (said door could teleport anything almost anywhere).
    Otherwise nothing exceptional, except nasty tempered swords and rubies that explode when thrown.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I had a character (Fisty McFecal) in Star Wars who dual-wielded dinosaur femurs. Originally he just hit people with trees (he had about 80 Strength, 100 Constitution, 3 Intelligence, and 3 Wisdom), but the DM eventually decided that I could only swing my tree once every two rounds, which just wasn't worth it (even if the trees did hit for 1d100 damage, my natural damage bonus would have let me do about fifty damage just by hitting people with sticks). At one point we killed a Tyrannosaur who was eating Nub-Nub-Nub the ewok, so after crushing the Tyrannosaur's skull (and, sadly, Nub-Nub-Nub as well, who was in the Tyrannosaur's mouth at the time that it was crushed) with my tree I tore into it and extracted its femurs, which I was allowed to swing five times per round (dual-wielded, for a total of ten femur strikes per round).
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I have an overflowing loot bag in morrwoind htta sux up all of my excess loot. The has to load for a few secs before I can look inside of it.
        Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
        Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

I had a mudcrab with 100,000 gold to buy my excess stuff with.
          I must admit, he wasn't an item though.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

See Jon Miller's items thread for some really outlandish things. I like the biting chair though.

My items were often like that. They were either weird things with wonderful powers or wonderful things with weird powers. A Staff of Master Summoning had been tampered with, so that it inflicted 50d100 headlice on the unfortunate victim. This was great if you were fighting something that actually had hair, not so useful otherwise. There was a range of bugs that it could conjure up, or even small vermin. The Pew of Infinite Wisdom allowed the character sat in it a temporary WIS score of 25 (well, almost infinite), but was rather difficult to carry around. In fact, it was so wondrous and magical that it was too big to fit through the doors of the temple that housed it, so practically unpinchable.
            A +2 boomerang had a mind of its own, so the party would often throw it, watch it beat monsters about the head and then spend ages trying to cajole it back into its case, or just watch it fly around overhead and act as a spectator for the battle, with the added bonus of terrifying local birdlife.

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
              A Staff of Master Summoning had been tampered with, so that it inflicted 50d100 headlice on the unfortunate victim.
              Please tell me you rolled the 50d100 on a computer :shudder: .

Comment

Nah, just cheated and multiplied the result by 50. Headlice live in large numbers, and a really annoying swarm of locusts/whatever would only do. Locusts are fun, as are other creatures that might eat the clothes/equipment of the enemy.

Comment

Actaully, I accindetally killed the mudcrab once, while figthing this freaky Daedra. Fortuantely I hadn't saved though.
                  Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                  Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

I didn't personally have it, but one of my friends was crazy enough to go get his umbrella enchanted. Stuck a dragon tooth we found somehow in the little thing on top, and then enchanted the rest of the umbrella with fire resistance. It did 1d4 damage stabbing, and could be cowered under as a shield of sorts!
                    All syllogisms have three parts.
                    Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Bah nothing can beat Spiffy the kobold berzerker's get-up: frog-skin leather armor, a magic carpet he insisted in only using as a turban and a hammer and chisel for breaking enemies knee-caps.
                      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Working...
                      X