No announcement yet.

Massive Multiplayer Role Playing Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i remember my first time playing everquest. i got stuck for like 15 mins in the gnome home city entrance. i would turn around in the halls and zone back because everything looked the same. i did this about 5 times before i realized what was going on.

one other thing i remember vividly was traveling as a low level gnome to the halfing city without dying. it actually wasn't very hard but it must have taken hours and i saw lots of amazing stuff for a newbie player. i remember the boat trip, a sewer(think this under one of the human cities), the desert, the plains/hills, and mountains with huge passes. i really had much more fun exploring things than leveling(which is why i quit after a few months).
    Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

so what was going on?

Comment

Originally posted by pg i would turn around in the halls and zone back because everything looked the same.
        'zone back' means i was exiting the current level for the other one. the problem was both the exits had halls which looked exactly the same so i thought i didn't actually go anywhere and turned around to try again(eq used to be pretty flakey).

Comment

If you were getting lost in the dark in EQ you needed to tweak up your gamma. It was a problem for me too until I asked some guy who ran past how he could see to move around at midnight

A MMOG is designed to give you a way to spend a LOT of time. It must do, otherwise you would not spend the price of a full game to buy it (on first release) and the same again every quarter to keep playing. Is it always fun? Definitely not. However once you find a bunch of people you like hanging out with, its an interesting social activity. Like all the guys that pile down the pub to watch every football match in front of the widescreen TV then spend days talking about it afterward. Imo that is just as sad as an obsessive RPG fan can be
          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
          H.Poincaré

Comment

unfortunately watcing football on tv is free (essentually), but paying a monthly subscription is not.

My problem I think is I'm not social enough. I can never find good groups to get with.

Comment

Talking to other people in the game helps.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

like I said, I'm not the most sociable person

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
                  If you were getting lost in the dark in EQ you needed to tweak up your gamma. It was a problem for me too until I asked some guy who ran past how he could see to move around at midnight
                  i had my gamma high up. the halls really just look exactly alike. same textures, lighting, etc and there are no visual references to compare where you really are. i'm sure someone who played eq must remember...

Comment

Working...
                  X