Shall I get Far Cry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shall I get Far Cry?

I'd like to hear the opinions of those who have it. It might be a good game to tide me over until the H2-HL2-D3 FPS paradise coming.
    It's up there with Quake, Half-Life, Doom, etc
    12.50%
    It's pretty good, you should try it.
    25.00%
    Maybe
    12.50%
    Don't bother
    12.50%
    I don't have it yet, but it looks interesting
    12.50%
    I despise it and all FPS games
    25.00%
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Well, here's the deal with Far Cry.

Graphically it is the best game ever, no question. However, that's about it. Gameplay wise, it's very shallow and repetetive. There are cool parts, but nothing really changes and the game seems to drag on and on in places.

One thing you should know (I'm not sure if this is good or bad) is that I could not beat the game on the highest difficulty setting. As far as I can tell it is impossible to complete the game after the final checkpoint. There are too many enemies to kill and no places to hide. It's freakin' wrong. This is coming from someone that is very very good at FPS games, too. And if anyone tells you they've beat this game on the Realistic setting without cheating, they are lying to you.

Bottom line... if you like graphics get this game, but if you like gameplay and story then pass on it.
    "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Beating it won't be a problem. You can trust me on that.

Repetitive as a complaint is an interesting one. Generally, all shooters are repetitive. But when you complain about the repetitiveness of a game, you really hate a more specific aspect of the game, and you attribute it to "repetitiveness" instead of disliking the enemies or environments or whatever.
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar

Repetitive as a complaint is an interesting one. Generally, all shooters are repetitive. But when you complain about the repetitiveness of a game, you really hate a more specific aspect of the game, and you attribute it to "repetitiveness" instead of disliking the enemies or environments or whatever.
        You've already made up your mind
        "Well...No matter what any of you say about this game, I can quite easily dismiss it because of X."
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

My friend Derek got Far Cry. H's been raving about it for a while. Partially b/c he got a mod where he has a machete with 600 range, and so he can make people explode from all the way across the level.
          Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
          Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Be aware it requires one hell of a computer

I voted: "It's up there with Quake, Half-Life, Doom, etc", but I don't really agree with that one... it's above those mentioned games... anything's above those mentioned games (Except Quake 2)
            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Maybe. A definate maybe.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Have you tried out the demo?
                Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
                  I'm gonna remember you said this, and so should you. I have not just beaten but outright destroyed every other FPS game I have ever played on the hardest difficulty. This one is different. You are not fast enough to run to the places you need to go without being shot up, there are too many enemies to kill relative to how much ammo you can carry, there are no hiding spots because the door closes behind you, and all but 4 of the enemies are immune to headshots.

When you beat this game on the realistic setting you let me know.
                  "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Not played this yet, but I will eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
                      Have you tried out the demo?
                      I should mention that if I get it, I will get it in June with a new computer. Mine probably couldn't run the demo.

Comment

I'd add definitevly... it might be repetitive, but in as much that you have a FREE world to roam about so you can go toward your target in many different ways... sure the merc are there for you to shoot them but this is why it is a FPS ... other than that

it's actually better than the old games, it's only if you are fedup with FPS concept that you will find it dissapointing.

Other than that you want a good CPU and good gfx to put all graphics on max, + physics in the game are great also.

so there you have it, many people are going at it for the second time, well because there are different ways to do stuff (read kill) as you go along.

check out this review
                        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                        X