Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you normally play older games or new games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you normally play older games or new games?

I was thinking. I just ordered 2 games that are 5 years and 6 years old respectively. That's pretty old for computer gaming.

Am I getting old, or am I finding out they just don't make them like they used to.

I still play new games like Neverwinter Nights (although technically the original is almost 2 years old, but the expansion came out last December). And Civ3.

And I don't normally play really old games, the graphics are a turn off. But I still play The Infinity engine (Baldur's Gate, Planescape, Icewind Dale) games, Fallout Games, SMAC, and occasionally Diablo2.
    Less than 6 months old. I like all the cutting edge games
    0.00%
    6 months to 1 year old.
    0.00%
    1 to 2 years old
    0.00%
    2 to 4 years old
    34.78%
    4 to 6 years old
    34.78%
    6 to 10 years old
    17.39%
    10 to 20 years old
    4.35%
    20+ years old- give me Pong anyday
    4.35%
    I don't play any computer games, I don't know why I'm here. I just like bananas
    4.35%

- i voted 4 to 6 years old - really more like 4 to 8 years old.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Since my system is 5 years old, any games more than 2 years old are going to be a problem for me usually.

In general though, I haven;t liked what I have seen from most modern games, and there have been so many classic games that keep being modded and improved, why move up?

The newest game I have is Civ3 with Conquest.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I'm mostly in the 4-6 area. The IE series, SMAC... and some older like MoM, MoO2 and newer like NWN.

-Jam
        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I probably should have made the poll 2 to 6 years, as that would be my choice as well. I voted 2 to 4 years. but as I said, smacx and Baldur's Gate which I just bought are 5 and 6 years old.

Baldur's Gate 2 I think is 4 years old or close to it. Planescape Torment is 5 years old. Fallout 1 I think is 6 or 7 years old. I think Fallout 2 came out in 99 so that is 5 years old. Fallout:Tactics which I think is 3 maybe 4 years old now

And I play Neverwinter Nights which is nearly 2 years old, although the expansions are much newer.
          Civ3 which is 2 years old, although the recent expansion is new.
          I have Morrowind installed on my system but I never play it

Knights of the Old Republic is the newest game I have on my computer. That and Silent Storm which I have yet to play. I also have Halo, but I'm already bored of that after playing for 1 hour . It came with my sound card. I don't like FPS games.
          Axis and Allies I think is 4 years old.
          Arx Fatalis is fairly new. Maybe 1 to 2 years old.

and the last game I have on my hard drive. SMAC. 5 years old.

Comment

I went with 6-10. Some new, some old. Moo1/Homm2/Might and Magic are some of the games. Even Diablo II is not reqal new now. CivIII could be old or new, since it came out about 3 years ago.

Comment

I have SMAC, Fallout 2, Commandos: BEM, GP3, Outcast, Gabriel Knight 3 and Tomb Raider II all presently installed in my comp. So you could say I play old games. The newest game I have installed is Civ3: Conquests.
              I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

For real games i have fun playing(my definition of fun being hard/challanging +thus the rewards so much sweeter) - most are fairly old between 4+10 years old.

For keeping up with the jones's and my personal research project into what has gone wrong( ), i use a console(xbox as its the most powerful and basicaly a cheap pc). On this i play/own most of the criticaly accclaimed titles(Halo/Splinter cell/Morrowind/KOTR etc).

All good games and all kept me interested for some time(maybe Morrowind the longest with about 60-70hrs with first real play, although i never finished it). The rest maybe between 15-40hrs each(before loosing interest/or having completed them).

My favourite game on the xbox - the one i keep going back to is a football management simulation(Championship Manager), but its really a straight pc port - so its not a real console title. I've spent maybe a few hundred hours on this game, and i'm not bored yet!

Back to the Pc

Most of these oldies i like to play offer a lot of hrs of gameplay, like with Morrowind and Championship Manager.
                And they also offer a serious challange, like with Championship Manager(Morrowind gets too easy).

below is a short example list of games i keep coming back to :

any of the historic Civ games(Civ/CTP/Imp etc).
                any of the Space Civ games(Moo/SpaceEmpires/Ascendancy etc).

Magic the Gathering(microprose version).
                UFO - Xcom.
                Daggerfall - (i'll never finish this game)
                Pirates.
                X-wing series of games.

All these games could eat up months of your time - and it was enjoyable to do so.
                Even the easy(not very challaging) ones to complete offered lots of replay value due to the nature of the games.
                The tough ones to beat felt like a real accomplishment to play(after all you'd sweated blood+tears for months!).

Overall my time use split between the xbox(new games) and the pc(old games) is maybe 30/70% in favour of the pc.
                I just prefer the type of games(and the investment of effort and time) i can get to play on my old pc.
                'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

I play games as they come out. This doesn't mean they don't stick around if they are good though. I always have Civ2 installed.

Comment

I only buy games that are not only gold, but packaged with their expansions. I became fed up buying buggy games a long time ago.

Console games I at least wait 6-12 months for the price to reduce.
                    Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

I play generally older games. Morrowind is probably the newest game I still play.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

now if I can get X-com to work properly...

Comment

I do have an old drive with Win98 and some cool old games on it. A while back I needed to use it for a couple of days, and you can guess what happened.

Comment

I voted Banana, since none of the options works for me...

I always play the newest games, most of them quickly ends up in the trashcan though... but I also plays lots of classic games

The last week I have been playing Conquest of the new World (1996 IIRC) and Chewy - Escape from F5... and I would have played Syndicate Wars now, if it worked)... and I also played a little GTA2
                            One month ago I was hooked on Theme Hostpital
                            2-3 months ago I played The Settlers II all day long... 2 months ago I played The Settlers III... not much, but I still played it...
                            From time to time I still take a quick Atomic Bomberman game...
                            If my Amiga was working I would also play a lot of those games... specially the Boulder Dash games, since they're impossible to find to the PC
                            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I found a really cool shareware Boulderdash clone a few months back. Later on I'll try and dig it out. Pun intended, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X