• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mafia XIV - Mafia Gothica

March 26th 1854

Letter recieved by Mina Harker.

My dearest Mina,
    I arrived this day, the twentysixth of March in the year of our Lord 1854 finally at the destination your father so vividly described in his notes. The great bleak house stands on the mountain top overlooking the village of Apolyton almost exactly as he described it. His words say it better than mine,

"...then upon crossing of the river for the third time by way of those most curiously constrcuted stone bridges they have in these parts, the vista over the Apolytown valley was revealed to me for the first time. Never have I felt such desolation of the soul as when this vision first entered my eyes, and took such a grip on my thoughts that to this day I am never rid of the picture. The castle, or mansion, as they say in the dialect of the valley, rises on a crag high to the left as a rotting tooth in the mouth formed by the basalt cliffs of the valley, while down beneath this edifice squats the hovels and stables of the small village that lends its name to the cleft as a whole..."

Your father spoke truely. A rotting tooth is indeed an apt description for the huge decaying fortress on the mountainside. Its walls are made from some kind of limestone, and against the black walls of basalt that rise around it the effect is like a skull floating in the darkness.

I plan to stay a few nights either in the village or the mansion. I feel somewhat driven by the promise I made to your father to investigate the curse he claims lies on this valley. May God standy by be if he spoke the truth, for in all honesty I have a chill feeling as I write this. It is almost as if the Castle is watching me, calling me to my doom.

With all my love, and I hope to return soon having solved this mystery.

Yours eternally

Jamski van Helsing Esq.

From the 1854 Parish Taxation records for the valley of Apolytown

Number of male residents currently living, visiting or working in the parish : Twenty two

Code:

mafia2

Name Role Status
    GhengisFarb Watercolour artist Alive
    Kassiopeia Travelling salesman Alive
    Zopperoni Butler Alive
    GJRamsey Bookkeeper Alive
    Vlad Antlerkov Message boy Alive
    MattH Doorman Alive
    ADG Cook (fish) Alive
    Alva A Major Alive
    Rasputin Priest Alive
    General Ludd General Alive
    Spaced Cowboy Cattle farmer Alive
    Mart7x5 Woodchopper Alive
    Doc Physician Alive
    Guynemer Cook (vegetables) Alive
    Jonny Elder Son of the Duke Alive
    flipside Younger Son of the Duke Alive
    Duke o'York Lord and Master Alive
    Skanky Burns Wine waiter Alive
    Tuberski Master of the Hunt Alive
    Theben Cook (meat) Alive
    Jon Miller Libarian Alive
    Urban Ranger Groundsman Alive
    From the Diary of Jamski van Helsing

26th March 1854 : Arrived today in Apolytown village and inqired a local character as to the possibilities of lodging somewhere in the village. The curious little man suggested I look elsewhere, and reccommeded
    "A gen'nelman loike you, sir ought'er be stayin' in dem dere Mansion"
    For a shilling the man, whose name turned out to be Vlad, at least from what I could understand of his dialect offered to carry my bags ahead and tell his Lordship, strangely called the Duke o'York that a visitor wished to spend a night. We headed up to the castle while my porter explained the village to me in response to my questions, of which I had many. I'll not attempt to reconstruct his comical accent any further, but only the gist of what he said.

It appears that apart from the Duke who is the lord of this valley and his two sons, Jonny and Flipside there are no more real noblemen in the valley. Apart from some gentlemen, such as Doc, the physician, Rasputin the priest, Major Alva and General Ludd (Who represent His Majesty's forces in this distant province) the other inhabitants of the valley are mere craftsmen and servants. The two exceptions to the rule are visitors like myself, a travelling salesman called Kassiopeia and a painter who goes by the name of Ghengis Farb.

Vlad informed me that I would probably meet these two at dinner time in the mansion.

From the Diary of Zopperoni

Today comes a new guest, some kind of mystery-hunter from the city. That means more work for poor old me. I'll have to get Guynemer, Theben and ADG to cook extra tonight, and tell Skanky to open another bottle of wine. Jon Miller will eat in the library I suppose, and GJRamsey will be in there with him, checking the papers for his Lordship, so that's two less to worry about. REMINDER : Tell that lazy bastard Mart7x5 to bring extra wood next week before it gets cold.
    Oh, and MattH should see to the guest, and I need to have a word with Urban Ranger about the fences again. We don't need anymore of Spaced Cowboy's cattle getting into the formal gardens...

It is now growing dark, who will not survive the night?

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Ooh, great atmosphere. A travelling salesman is a rather Kafkaic profession to have, I like it.
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Would you rather be a land serveyor?

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

I'd ask Ming to change my username to duke o' apolytown, but I don't think that he'd do it.
        Damn! I was made the duke again.

Comment

You could ask Ming to capitalise it

-Jam

Comment

/me samples the wine before pouring some for his Lordship's dinner.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Oh... by the way the mafia know already who they are... and soon one of you will be DEAD

/me whistles happily *

-Jam

Comment

Hooray for names with capital letters. At the beginning of the words.

Great write-up as per usual, Jammmmo.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                  * Skanky Burns samples the wine before pouring some for his Lordship's dinner.
                  Can you send some of that wine up to the library?

where is Quicken at when you really need it?

Comment

Wow!!!! How many people do you need just to cater for one guest
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Sounds like PC game adventure, I like it.
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

Cool context

What was the inspiration?

Comment

Its Stoker's "Dracula" meets Kafka's "The Castle" with some extra killings

-Jam

Comment

The 'rotten tooth' is yours?

Comment

Would you rather be a land serveyor?
                              Whenever I call something "Kafkaic", it's a compliment. Keep it the way it is, please.
                              Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Working...
                              X