Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gamespy titlefight scandal: Diablo II Cheated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamespy titlefight scandal: Diablo II Cheated!

I'm actually serious about this. I don't own Starcraft, so I'm not some bitter starcraft "fanboy" or anything like that.

In the first day of the match, Starcraft was beating Diablo II quite solidly. By the time most people on the East Coast went to sleep, it was ahead by about 1500 votes. But somehow, during the night, Diablo pulled ahead.

Here's why: a guy at a site called blizzhackers.com wrote a bot that could vote over and over again. The original thread id was http://www.blizzhackers.com/phpBB2/v...c.php?t=139332

However, it has been deleted by now. But a lot of people saved screenshots of the thread. At this link, you can see one of the many saved screenshots:

Also, although the thread has been deleted, there's a wealth of references to the voting bot all over the forums.

Note that it is the same poster who is in the screenshot of the deleted thread.

And here is a copy of the program floating around

Lastly, here is the official titlefight forum at the point when theoretically, the bot started being used. http://www.forumplanet.com/titlefigh...d=1320878&p=12

Firstly, I am a little annoyed. I dislike Diablo as a game, but I don't really care too much about Starcraft losing.

Secondly, it's really sad that they were this low.

Thirdly, it's kind of funny.
    Last edited by Jaguar; March 26, 2004, 00:31.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

I think its a nice use of technology to abuse a broken voting system.

And Diablo 2 is an "ok" game. Its not the greatest plot or anything, but hack'n'slash will always have its place.

Starcraft? Just another Dune2 clone isn't it?

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

That's an odd way of thinking about it. Blizzard is basically the king of RTS, and Starcraft is one of theirs. Starcraft was at least as genre-defining as Dune2.
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

Is there really any difference between the Westwood RTS games and the Blizzard RTS games? They're both based on building structures to produce troops while harvesting stuff, are they not? Just the models, maps and statistics of the thingies change.

-Jam
        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Basically. But Starcraft and Warcraft had most w00tacular SP campaigns.

Comment

Warcraft 1&2 were great, but Warcraft3 was total bollox. The SP campaign was first of all dead easy, even on hardest level; secondly the story may have been attractive, but the fact that you had to wait until the end of each campaign in order to have access to every monster was kinda stupid. I've never even used most troops. Playing the orcs I simply quickbuild some raiders and trolls with spears to pick out airborne troops and bam I win. What a challenge.

Good thing is the races are totally different from eachother, but Orcs still kick everyone's ass
            Oh yeah: the graphics suck ass too!

PS: What's the point anyway. some people voting which is the better game. Is it going to change your life, is this important for these games?
            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

d2 has so many hacks in real life it seems fitting... then again the d2 cheat bot was probably just better than the starcraft one.
              Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

i for one haven't found many of the rts games to be all that diferent from each other.

rts was the rage for awhile, but fps games are easily the hottest thing on the market now...

but as each genre spews out hundreads (yes pun intended) of clones, the advancement in quality suffers.
                Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                  Is there really any difference between the Westwood RTS games and the Blizzard RTS games?
                  Starcraft has alot more atmosphere and, well, 'fun' then any other RTS I've played. Jaguar is right about the single player campaigns being great, too.

And yeah, Warcraft 3 is crap.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

starcraft is a good game.
                    diablo isnt even a game. its gay.

(yeah, i wasted 1billion hours on a game that Im cussing right now... where can i get my hours refunded? )

i find it funy when people judge multiplayer games based on single player experience. Single player = appetizers in MP games...
                    :-p

Comment

starcraft=good experience
                      SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Gamespy titlefight scandal: Diablo II Cheated!

* sigh *

/me wonders people tried to vote more then once though??.......I did
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I was one of those simcity players on Starcraft.
                          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
                            I was one of those simcity players on Starcraft.
                            simcity? u mean like building and teching stuff?

u do realize that the whole point is to destroy people who are building things who are also trying to destroy right?
                            :-p

Comment

Yes.
                              So what I would do is select the Protoss, build up a small army and use a Dark Archon to capture the other two buildiers, then bring them back and build my base even further
                              It was so fun.
                              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Working...
                              X