Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come there are no good detective games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vovan
    replied
    Umm... Bump?

Leave a comment:

• vovan
    replied
    Another weekend gone. How goes it, MattH?

Hehe, not rushing you or anything, just making sure you know someone's still interested in this idea of yours. I think it has quite the potential.

Leave a comment:

• MattH
    replied
    Well, I had too much work to do anything useful this week (cough splinter cell cough). Damn there's too much before easter! I started, though.

Leave a comment:

• vovan
    replied
    Well, the week-end is nearly over. Any luck with the undertaking, MattH?

Leave a comment:

• vovan
    replied
    That's fine. You've got to make sure the idea works first, any way, right? So, think of it as a "proof-of-concept" kind of thing. Don't have to be pretty.

Leave a comment:

• DrSpike
    replied
    If you do do it make sure you get someone else to do the advertising.

Leave a comment:

• MattH
    replied
    Don't get your hopes up... it'll be a poorly coded monstrosity at best

Leave a comment:

• vovan
    replied
    Originally posted by MattH
    I tell you what: this weekend I'm going to try to code something very simple, command-line based in C/C++ and see how it turns out. I'll post it if it's anything worthwile.
    I'd be interested to see that. If I wasn't so busy with school-related coding projects, I would have done something myself by now.

Leave a comment:

• MattH
    replied
    I tell you what: this weekend I'm going to try to code something very simple, command-line based in C/C++ and see how it turns out. I'll post it if it's anything worthwile.

Leave a comment:

• DrSpike
    replied
    I've always said you were a good poster.

Leave a comment:

• duke o' york
    replied
    I don' think that the game we have in mind is really the kind to attract illiterate shoot-monkeys from UT forums. As far as I'm concerned, dull is good.

Leave a comment:

• bipolarbear
    replied
    I've tried te demos for the law and order games, and to be honest, they really suck. I think that if there were dectective games that were sort of like that one part of KOTOR where you have to play detective on Dantooine, only waaaaaay more heavy on the detective end of things, then that would sell really well. It would have to include a little bit of gunplay too, just to keep things from getting too dull.

Leave a comment:

• bipolarbear
    replied
    There was actually a really great game for the NES called Nightshade, where you were a dectective, and you had to solve all of these mysteries. It was quite advanced as far as interactivity is concerned for a game of its time. It was really, fun, and it was really long too. The big downside though, was that there was no way to save your progress at all. I think that's why it never took off.

Leave a comment:

• vovan
    replied
    So, in NWN, you could essentially randomly generate events and quests at every replay of the game?

I guess what bothers me most about this is that you cannot really at present implement a truly flexible storytelling engine, without which such a game would suffer (and the adventure variety would be entirely impossible). What one would have to do it seems is essentially provide a bunch of pieces of story to the game to string together randomly into a whole. But to achieve a good replay value, like Jamski said, you'd have to have a LOT of these little pieces.

Leave a comment:

• DataAeolus
    replied
    Where in the World's Carmen Santigo was a great game back then.

While it's not your traditional detective story, a lot of skills related are used in the King's Quest series.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X