Sid Meier's Pirates! preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GhengisFarb

Then those magazines should be out of business by now.
    Maybe people buy them for something other than accurate reviews? (dont know, I dont buy them anymore)
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Argh! They pushed back the release date on Port Royale 2 to September!

Blast me innards and call me Polly! Argggggh!

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

Maybe people buy them for something other than accurate reviews?
        I buy them for the CG boobies.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• Originally posted by GhengisFarb
          Argh! They pushed back the release date on Port Royale 2 to September!

Blast me innards and call me Polly! Argggggh!
          Come on, no walk the plank jokes please or else.

Comment

Maybe people buy them for something other than accurate reviews? (dont know, I dont buy them anymore)
            Well i used to buy loads of magazines - i started with C+VG in the 80's and then moved onto Amiga mags in the 90's and recently i used to get PC format as it seemed the least biased in its reviews.

I only get the odd one now and then if the cover disks look interesting and i get the occasional Xbox magazine, not for the reivews(cause all xbox games are great ), but for the demos on the cover disk.

'Game' seems a good magazine for content - so i get that most issues.

Still i judge games on a combination of what the trusted sites/mags say + mostly what i hear on forums.

Thinking on the old game Pirates, the only thing that i used to get annoyed with was the weather system.

It meant i never used to go for square-riggers(hoist the main sail me scurvy swabs! arrghh!) - they were a real pain when trying to sail in an easterly direction.
            So i used Barques and Sloops exclusivly - their speed and manouverability made up for their comparative lack of cargo space.

So i hope in the new game they dont try to model the wind patterns in such a strict way - i'm all for a slightly less realistic random weather system. Weather is a cool feature, running before a storm was fun in the origonal.

And in my Pirate laden dreams i always envisioned a whole world map or atleast a large random map like in civ

Add the ability to setup your own towns/forts and maybe a little of the extra detail they put into 'Cutthroats'(by Eidos), and that would have been enough for me to call it Pirates2, and maybe the best game in the world?

If they can pull that off then i could happily throw most of my games to Davy Jones locker and with a 'shiver me timbers' spend the rest of my days sailing the high seas looking for fame and fortune.

NOTE: all the Pirate stuff is for Doc
            'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

• Shut it or yall get a taste o' the cat!

Comment

• Child of Thor, in future, if you remember any more Pirate clichés for Doc's benefit, can you PM them to him, for our benefit!

I remember the release of Civ, the first three Monkey Islands (wasn't even aware that there was a fourth until I read it here), and the original Pirates, and have to say that Dr Spike is entirely correct in saying that Civ predates MI3, and very possibly MI2 as well, although they were fairly close together.

I'm looking forward to Pirates II, and hope for something like Thor has described, with a much bigger world than the original, and a decent range of ships, different colonial powers to fight for/against, and the possibility of alliances between notorious buccaneers to share the loot after pooling their resources.

Comment

• Okay I got a bad link. They were 1990, 1991, 1997 (not 1992) and 2000. By 1997 Myst and the like had already put adventure gaming into a near terminal decline so I stand by the rest of my statement
                  To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                  H.Poincaré

Comment

• The reason i like the idea of setting up your own colonies is because that is exactly what many of the famous Pirates did.

The most famous of these being Captian Henry Morgan.
                    People still search for his reputed hidden gold these days

A sort of Civ blend of Pirates would be awesome - still i'll settle for cartoon graphics and 'follow the prompt' dance moves......
                    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by child of Thor

Well i used to buy loads of magazines - i started with C+VG in the 80's and then moved onto Amiga mags in the 90's and recently i used to get PC format as it seemed the least biased in its reviews.

I only get the odd one now and then if the cover disks look interesting and i get the occasional Xbox magazine, not for the reivews(cause all xbox games are great ), but for the demos on the cover disk.

'Game' seems a good magazine for content - so i get that most issues.

Still i judge games on a combination of what the trusted sites/mags say + mostly what i hear on forums.

Thinking on the old game Pirates, the only thing that i used to get annoyed with was the weather system.

It meant i never used to go for square-riggers(hoist the main sail me scurvy swabs! arrghh!) - they were a real pain when trying to sail in an easterly direction.
                      So i used Barques and Sloops exclusivly - their speed and manouverability made up for their comparative lack of cargo space.

So i hope in the new game they dont try to model the wind patterns in such a strict way - i'm all for a slightly less realistic random weather system. Weather is a cool feature, running before a storm was fun in the origonal.

And in my Pirate laden dreams i always envisioned a whole world map or atleast a large random map like in civ

Add the ability to setup your own towns/forts and maybe a little of the extra detail they put into 'Cutthroats'(by Eidos), and that would have been enough for me to call it Pirates2, and maybe the best game in the world?

If they can pull that off then i could happily throw most of my games to Davy Jones locker and with a 'shiver me timbers' spend the rest of my days sailing the high seas looking for fame and fortune.

NOTE: all the Pirate stuff is for Doc
                      Gee i bet with what you pay for mags you could probably buy a new PC
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• I'm really hurting for good magazines now that PC Strategy Games and its competitor died i the UK. PC Gamer just doesn't seem to have a true strategy game reviewer left. They all want fast cheap thrills and write off any game that puts strategy ahead of graphics.
                        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                        H.Poincaré

Comment

• Originally posted by Doc

Come on, no walk the plank jokes please or else.
                          Eh, why don't you walk the plank befor I keelhaul you round the Bloody Mary.

Originally posted by child of Thor
                          Port Royale 2 will allow you to found up to four of your own towns which start as hide outs and if they grow large enough become part of the Caribbean trade system.

Comment

Gee i bet with what you pay for mags you could probably buy a new PC
                            Your probably 100% right!

But the crux is IMH(and old fashioned)O - i dont feel the need to do so in a hurry. What games are out there that REALLY warrant i upgrade from my:

Compaq Desktop Pro 4000
                            W98se
                            P166Mhz
                            48Mb ram[64Mb would be nice]
                            Creative Awe64 sound card
                            4Gig main HD
                            30Gig(slave)removable HD
                            2Mb generic video card[maybe this could be better?].

Dont get me wrong - some great games have been released since 1996 But the few that have been i've played to death on my work PC's.

So i dont need to play any of these games:

Total War series(shogun/Medieval etc)
                            EU series(1+2)
                            Ceasar3 games(incl Pharaoh)

there may be a few others.

But this is what i AM playing(with a bit of jiggery pokery):

UFO - enemy unknown(Xcom1)
                            X-Wing/TieFighter
                            PiratesGold
                            Civ1+2
                            CTP1+2
                            MonkeyIsland1-3
                            SMAC
                            Daggerfall
                            Imperialism1+2
                            Reunion(think Masters of Orion1.5)
                            Many Interactive Fiction titles(old Infocom etc)

there are a few others i've missed.

I'm happy in my gaming Nivarna - its upto the game producers to bring me out of it

And to bring this back to the thread, will Pirates2 be the game to make me upgrade? I'm hoping so.......but my gut feeling is probably not.

Comment

• Well if you're happy it's fine. What I would do is keep that machine for classic gaming, and buy a new one for cutting edge gaming.

Comment

• And to think I have an AMD1400TB idling around here.
                                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                                X