• Show
Clear All

• Yes.

Thanks.

Now the stats are as follows:
    Owen: Pace 50, Skill 35, Strength 15
    Placente: Pace 30, Skill 30, Strength 40
    Pochettino: Pace 35, Skill 15, Strength 50

Owen has the ball and is darting toward the Argentinian goal. The defenders think that he will go directly for goal, and so both move into the square between them.
    If Owen goes here, then he will be tackled by both of them: ASk (35) + APa (50) < DSk (15+30) + DSt (50+40)
    He loses the ball, and Argentina go on to win easily.
    If, however, both defenders move towards Owen, but he goes around them, moving into the square vacated by either of them, then only the player Owen goes round can tackle, and he can carry on to score!
    ASk (35) + APa (50) > DSk (15) + DSt (50), or
    ASk (35) + APa (50) > DSk (30) + DSt (40).
    Argentina go on to win on penalties instead.
    If the defenders had stayed where they were (B&C), then Owen could have taken them both on by going between them, or taken one on. If one defender had moved to the square between them (B to middle), and the other did not (C), then Owen would have to face two tackles if he either went through the centre or onto the corner square still occupied by the defender (C). Otherwise, he'd only be tackled by one as he headed for the space (B).
    Or he could have given the ball to Heskey, who'd have fallne over and given it away.

Comment

• Strange, so the safest move is to actually run at a player, not to open space where the possiblity of getting gang tackled exists.

As the defender here you are totally hosed, as you'll need both of your guys on Owen to stop him. Hense Owen could run wither right or left and then run it in. Right, or am I not seeing this all the way yet?
      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

• But you only have to have the players in squares adjacent to where Owen is going to put in a tackle. If Owen runs to square B, and both defenders move to the centre, then only the defender who has moved from B can get a tackle in. Defender C can't move 2 squares to tackle. If they wanted to really do him, no questions asked, then Defender C could move into the square Owen is in, and Defender B moves to the middle square between where they start. This way, wherever he chooses to go, he will have 2 players in squares next to him and will lose the ball. And to be honest, Brian, in that situation he really ought to have passed.

(Sorry about the last bit - it's a football commentator cliché over here)
        I'm off home. Zop is taking my moves for the weekend, and I'll be back on Monday with more dumb ideas.

Comment

• Originally posted by duke o' york
          If Terry Butcher (skill 20) had passed the ball, then (35+45>55+20) Koeman comes away with the ball, but since Beardsley was a magician with an ugly face, then he manages to thread the pass through into space for Lineker to run on to. (55+20>35+45-10)

Is that clear?
          No. Why would Beardsley has a 10% bonus?
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• I think the formulae need tuning, say:

Passing: (Skill of passer + Pace of receiver) vs (Strength and Pace of defender)
            Tackling: (Pace and Skill of dribbler) vs (Pace and Skill of tackler)
            Interception: no need, if a pass fails, the defender gains control of the ball.
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

• Why would Beardsley has a 10% bonus?
              Because he's an ex-Toon, and to make up for his face.

-Jam
              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

• hmm getting better all the time
                GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

• Book the entire Red team for stalling!

Comment

• Well I thought it wise to see whether we are continuing with the current rules.

Also to the rules discussion above I'd add that this game needs refining in the order dept as well. Otherwise it's just the captain playing, at least for our team.

Comment

• Say, instead of rething how the players work, how about changing how the ball act.

What I mean is, why not change this game into something more similar to subeteo?
                      I think this might wok better with the format we have to work with.
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• Well, propose how that would work, alva!

Comment

• Originally posted by Zopperoni
                          Book the entire Red team for stalling!
                          Book them all, now!

Comment

• wow that's pretty complex. why not a chess type thing instead so there's no number crunching...
                            Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

• We like complex rules

And we like statistics even more

Red team are all booked

-Jam
                              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doc
                                Well I thought it wise to see whether we are continuing with the current rules.

Also to the rules discussion above I'd add that this game needs refining in the order dept as well. Otherwise it's just the captain playing, at least for our team.
                                Ffs, I'll send orders as soon as it's confirmed all your ideas lately are for the future.

Comment

Working...
                                X