Mmorpg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mmorpg

Have anybody ever tried out a MMORPG? As a former mudder, I have always daydreamed about such games and lo and behold here they are.

Any particular MMORPG stands out? I've heard complaints about several. I'm curious about Shadowbane myself but I haven't tried it out - I doubt I'd have time for that.

How many hours per week do you usually spend playing a MMORPG? The way I figure it, I have pretty much around 3 to 4 free hours everyday during weekdays so obviously I don't want to burn them all on an online game when I should be having a life.
    Who is Barinthus?

These games are generally designed so you can spend as much time as possible playing them.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I never really got into them. My brother got into Anarchy Online, which I would occasionally play. Once you got enough strength where you could kill creatures bigger than rodents, it was mildly interesting. It wasn't all that I expected. There wasn't as much player-to-player interaction, although I'm sure there are guilds and other groups that one could join for this. Perhaps it was just the storyline, etc of Anarchy Online, but I just wasn't that interested in it.

Comment

whats a MMORPG???
        GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Games.

Everquest, Anarchy Online, Star Wars: Galaxies.

Those games that are solely online, that cost about 15$ a month.

Comment

ta

Comment

I've played Shadowbane, EverQuest, Ultima Online (very, very briefly), Dark Age of Camelot, and WWI Online (if you can call that an RPG) and, erm, whatever that microsoft one is called - only the first incarnation of it.

Of those, I would say that Dark Age of Camelot is best all around, and EverQuest the worst (Although it has a certain nastalgic appeal to me, because it was my first MMORPG).

Shadowbane is good if you don't want to spend alot of time leveling your character... but the catch is that the main feature (PvP and nation building) is rather quite pointless because there are no reasources, and no reason for nations to fight eachother than merely wanting to fight. PvP can also be hard to find sometimes, depending where your nation is located, ect...

Because of this, Shadowbane has turned into a level treadmill that is, perhaps, even worse than games like Everquest which have mind numbingly slow character progression. The only difference is that in shadowbane, you are constantly rerolling new characters and going through the process repeatedly (albeit, rapidly), because there isn't much else to do.

By the way, if you do try out shadowbane and you're into roleplaying a chaos oriented character, check out Morloch's Vengeance on the Mourning server. Although i don't play anymore, I'm still a member of that guild.

WWII Online is good fun if you are a fan of combat sims. If you are limited by time, you might not be able to experience it in it's full potential - the massive, planned out attacks (ie. tank collumns that collect tank reservers from town way behind enemy line and converge on a single point in mass numbers, or mass bombing runs that have planes flying across most of europe) but you can still take part in "quick action" by spawning for defense, or at attacking field bases.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
                and, erm, whatever that microsoft one is called - only the first incarnation of it.
                You mean Dungeon Siege, the game I get constant advertisement for on Apolyton?

Comment

Isn't there already a thread like this? I think I remember it, I was asking lots of questions...or something kinda sorta like that.
                  Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                  Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Originally posted by Verto

You mean Dungeon Siege, the game I get constant advertisement for on Apolyton?
                    No, that isn't a MMORPG.

It started with an A I think.... hummm....

Asheron's Call - that's it.

Decent game with a nice open world that can be fun to explore. But poor setting (player races basically being european, arab, and chinese cliches, and the monsters big ugly weird things) and no open PvP.

And about Dark Age of Camelot - One of it's nicest features, I think, are the three seperate factions you can play under. Each one has their own races, clases, and land - it's like three games in one, almost. And despite there not beign open PvP, there are still frontier lands that are fought over by the different factions, and controling land and relics can give your faction bonuses like extra experience or more damage, ect.. It's basically a very good compromise of game elements, including a bit of everything.

I believe World of Warcraft will be taking a similiar aproach.
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Asheron's Call also has a second game out.

Dungeon Seige is NOT a mmorpg. Just a regular single player game (it probably has multiplayer as well).

I've been meaning to get Everquest, but never got around to it. I really don't think I'll like it that much.

Everquest 2 is a maybe. But it comes out the same month as another biggie- world of warcraft.

WOW looks like it may be the very first mmorpg I buy. But I'll still wait for reviews and check it out at my brother's house before buying.

The main problem I have is price. $15 a month is too much.

Comment

No, that isn't a MMORPG.

Shows you how effective popups are.

Comment

Ah, thanks, guys. Yeah I have to agree re: prices - I'm used to mud for free so I'm a bit resistent to the idea of paying for a MMORPG other than the software itself.
                          Who is Barinthus?

Comment

ive heard lots about asherons call, and was looknig into it.

what would be good is a mmorpg that you pay once for and dont ahve montyl fees for ....

Comment

But then the pay once mmorpg's tend to have their continued development cut off quite quickly compared to the mmorpg's that are a source of income for their developers. The monthly fee ones tend to have continued developer support for years.
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                              X