Sam & Max cancelled!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
    I'm not too upset. I stopped playing them after LA started making their adventure games more like an interactive cartoon as opposed to a computer game. Which basically covers anything post Monkey Island 2.
    Monkey Island 3 is the pinnacle for me, it had good graphics, good humour and the puzzles were fun. Whilst the 4th was just as good in terms of puzzles and humour the graphics grated me. Going back to MI1 is a tough thing to do now for the same reason, but at the time we didn't expect better.

/me awaits the wrath of DrSpike.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Actually, now that I have a decent graphics card maybe I should revisit MI4.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Bah, until they get a decent leader figure back LucasArts seem devoid of direction. I *know* Sam and Max2 would sell enough to be a good choice for them. LJ and Syberia had no pedigree whatsoever, but any good game in a genre with no real competition sells well, this is what the experiences of the last 3 or 4 years tells us. My little finger seemingly knows more about gaming than the entire LucasArts staff.

Skanky, I hear you about the sequels. But reality dictates that they sell better for many reasons, and the genre is so fragile I'd take a sequel to any of the major games, since it could potentially give a much needed boost to the industry, especially when its a high profile game like Sam and Max from the darling of 90s adventure games.

TLJ and Syberia fanned the flames, ffs all it takes now is ONE game to be in the right place at the right time. Sam and Max 2 could have been that game. It would be so fitting for it to be a LucasArts game.

Damn their lack of vision.

Comment

And yeah BC, play MI4, it's really a decent game.

As far as pinnacles go it's near impossible to objectively compare. However ( ) I would plump for MI1 as the best on a scale comparing the games with their competitors of the time. MI1 was a breath of fresh air, a truly original and funny game, with a tight pace and good puzzles. Even ignoring the sequel argument MI2 is not quite as good, since it lagged in the middle too much. 3 and 4 were welcome late additions, both with their merits.

Comment

Purcell has written a comment in which he states the game was coming along well.
            Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
            Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Nice avatar.

Comment

Maybe I should try MI3 then.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I haven't tried MI4 yet... I imagine I could find it for cheap, but I refuse to give LucasArts any more of my money until they give a full account of their decision. This "market place realities" stuff just doesn't wash. Sam & Max was going to sell quite well.
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                    You're making one, Hueij? Does it have anything to do with Ancient Egypt?
                    You read the AGS forums? The ancient Egypt game is being made by a Scottish guy, I just commented on the character's clothing
                    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                    And notifying the next of kin
                    Once again...

Comment

Oh
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I take it that this is a bad thing?
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Most looked-forward-to game of the past couple of years for me, together with Psychonauts.
                          Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                          Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
                            This "market place realities" stuff just doesn't wash. Sam & Max was going to sell quite well.
                            Unless it sucked In which case, it may also have hurt the company's reputation [not that there's much left of that these days], thereby harming future sales.

...not that that means that I'm happy with this. Sam and Max Hit the Road is one of my favourite games of all time, and a sequel should have been released, oh, about a decade ago
                            'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                            - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

As Buck said earlier, Sam & Max's creator was very pleased with the game's progress:

LucasArts' sudden decision to stop production on Sam & Max is mystifying. Sam & Max was on schedule and coming together beautifully.

I couldn't have been more pleased with the quality of the writing, gameplay, hilarious animation and the gorgeous 3D world that Mike Stemmle's team has created. The rug has been pulled out from under this brilliant team who've so expertly retooled Sam & Max for the 21st century.

I'm extremely frustrated and disappointed especially for the team who have devoted so much effort and creativity to Sam & Max. It's a shame to think that their accomplishments, as well as the goodwill that has been growing in the gaming press toward this project, will all go to waste due to this shortsighted decision.

Thanks everyone, for continuing to make your feelings known.

--Steve Purcell
                              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

It's painful to read. Let's hope they are big enough to admit they were wrong and change their minds.

Comment

Working...
                                X