Anyone play MUD's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone play MUD's?

I know its somewhat retro, but I enjoyed playing Avatar Mud a couple of years ago. Does anyone play those.....

Unfortunately, I ended up behind a very restrictive firewall , thus I cannot play anymore (at work )

I used to play a MUD called Aaaaarrgh (or something to that effect) quite alot a few years ago.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I did back in University but it's been quite a while.
      Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

I played it when I was a pupil at uni
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I played them -- and created one -- when I was a pupil in Jr. High.

Suck it, Suck it, SUCK IT!!!
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I used to play MUDs a year or two ago, but I couldnt find a good one so I gave up on them. I also created a region in a MUD. But the person didnt stick with it and ended up trashing the project

Suck it, Suck it, SUCK IT!!!

getting desperate, or was that the name of the MUD?

Comment

I kinda liked the social aspects of it. Folks helping you out and stuff....

Comment

Yeah, that's the only reason I played MUD.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I played one back when I was a freshman in high school... a friend of mine plays one currently, I often remind him of his geekyness.
                  I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

I think about half my dorm flunked out of school playing MUD 24/7 back in '92. Huge player-to-player battles with massively powerful characters. Those were the good ole days

I have an old computer that I use exclusively for MUD, which has an excellent version of ZMUD, the best client out there. I haven't played in a while, but I used to play on NannyMud, BatMUD, and End of the Line Mud (my fave with the best stat and combat system out there)

Yes, I am a no-life geek
                    "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
                      I used to play a MUD called Aaaaarrgh (or something to that effect) quite alot a few years ago.
                      Castle Aaaaargh, is that the one?

I love mudding but the problem is it consumes up literally every second of my free time. During college years, that wasn't a problem especially over the breaks. I used to work in a computer lab so that was an ideal job for a mudder.

My first one was TimeWarp, a LpMud back in uhhh '95. I was a human warrior based on the Renshai clan in that book series - no armour at all except for leather jerkin and only uses swords, dual wielding.

After that, I moved on to 3K (Three Kindgoms, still at 3K.org 5000 if I remember correctly). One of my favorite muds ever. I believe this was based on Castle Aaaaargh but it's now a completely different mud. Only thing that it still retain from the old days of Castle Aaaargh is whenever someone dies, everybody will see on their screen " scream 'Aaaaarrrrggggghhh!' as he dies to ".

However I wondered if there was better muds out there so I floated among muds for a while. I found one named Village Rivalry (or something like that). The community there was very welcoming and friendly, excellent guild themes, really, the mud itself was awesome and unique. Unfortunately not many people found it so at the best there are perhaps only at around 15 players at a time. The low numbers of players basically just disencouraged me from staying there. From what I understand, there were two major crashes which all players' files were lost so that didn't exactly help either. It's a shame really.

I eventually returned to 3K. When I moved to California, a friend persuaded me to try out his mud - Dark and Shattered Lands (DSL). This would be my first serious attempt to mud a DikuMUD (all muds listed above are LPMuds). I fell in love with that mud - it's very rich detailed and your roleplaying actually do count for something in there. Not as buggy as other DikuMUDs I've tried so that's a big bonus too.

Unfortunately the structure of my life right now just doesn't permit for mudding so I had to quit.

BTW if you check out my profile you will see some references to my character I had in DSL, one of three anyway. Other two were this chaotic evil dark dwarf clerc (I planned to reclass him as a shaman) and a chaotic good sea elf bard (planned reclass - either a charlatan or a skald). The human mage mentioned in my profile was a lawful netural.

www.dsl-mud.org if you're interested...
                      Who is Barinthus?

Comment

We were so poor when I was young that we had to make our MUD's with dirt and water.

ACK!
                        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

i used to be really into them - having high level characters in various high level guild positions, then got burnt out on them. now i have 1 or 2 i stop by from time to time to chat and occasionally go out and xp on.
                          Insert witty phrase here

Comment

I played the Two Towers MUD pretty often at one point. Good times.

Comment

now for a stupid question.

What is a MUD?

I'm sure I once knew what this was- it sounds very familiar. But for the life of me, I cannot remember.

Comment

Working...
                              X