Beer and pretzel game for less than the price of the beer or PG2 for $3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer and pretzel game for less than the price of the beer or PG2 for $3

Just picked up Panzer General 2 for $3 US at my local bargain bin.

I was in the mood for a wargame and the pickings were slim (Divided Ground doesnt like my drivers, and im not in the mood to play "try to fix the PC and see if its just that the game is buggy") Panzer General is just about at the unhistorical end for "realistic" wargame - no morale or supply rules, and Ive heard its a little foggy on time scale. Still, its historical weapons systems with essentially accurate stats, if I understand, and a straightforward combat system. Promises good fun, and its worthwhile just to explore this end of the wargaming spectrum. (and this is a wargame that folks on this site may have actually played, so i can discuss it here)

I only played the tutorial scenario last night, and havent finished learning the interface. More discussion to come.

More discussions
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

I have never played PG 2, though it looked like a good game.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I personally prefer the old DOS games. Those were unrealistic! Did you ever try the game with the two cannons on opposite hilltops, and they have to shoot each other?
      Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
      Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

The old artillery game Played it all the time on some very obscure microcomputers.
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by bipolarbear
          I personally prefer the old DOS games. Those were unrealistic! Did you ever try the game with the two cannons on opposite hilltops, and they have to shoot each other?
          that doesnt sound like a historical wargame. Im quite sure there were historical wargames in the DOS era, though IIUC they retained the board game convention of counters for units, rather than the unit images that I believe the original Panzer General introduced (and which later became standard, even for such hyper realistic games as TOAW.)
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

PG2 was fun but IMHO the originals (PG and Allied Gen.) were far better. My main gripe with PG2 was that the scope of the game was vastly reduced. In PG or AG, you felt like you were commander of an entire front. In PG2 you were merely an army or corps commander.

Plus, most of the scenarios in PG have a direct parallel in PG2, and you can see just by the name how the scale was toned down tremendously:

Norway (one of the best scenarios in PG) -> Lillehammer in PG
            Low Countries -> Sedan
            France -> Dunkirk
            Kursk -> Provkhorovka

you get the picture... Instead of PG2, it should have been called Panzer General Subordiante.

Still, it is a VERY FUN game regardless, and for $3 was more than worth it
            A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
              ...rather than the unit images that I believe the original Panzer General introduced (and which later became standard, even for such hyper realistic games as TOAW.)
              I believe that some DOS wargames (or even earlier ones) used unit images. A lot of the old SSI ones did, I know that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Zen
                PG2 was fun but IMHO the originals (PG and Allied Gen.) were far better. My main gripe with PG2 was that the scope of the game was vastly reduced. In PG or AG, you felt like you were commander of an entire front. In PG2 you were merely an army or corps commander.

Plus, most of the scenarios in PG have a direct parallel in PG2, and you can see just by the name how the scale was toned down tremendously:

Norway (one of the best scenarios in PG) -> Lillehammer in PG
                Low Countries -> Sedan
                France -> Dunkirk
                Kursk -> Provkhorovka

you get the picture... Instead of PG2, it should have been called Panzer General Subordiante.

Still, it is a VERY FUN game regardless, and for $3 was more than worth it
                Well it seems like they tried to make the scale more realistic then. the units seem to be homogeneous - ie a tank unit is all tanks, an infantry unit all infantry etc. Artillery has range effects. IE its a tactical game, and units are platoons or companies or battalions.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

I believe that some DOS wargames (or even earlier ones) used unit images. A lot of the old SSI ones did, I know that much.

I didnt know that. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X