Intellivision's 'Utopia'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intellivision's 'Utopia'

Before Nintendo, Playstation, and Sega, there was Atari, Colecovision, and Intellivision. I owned an Intellivision when I was a kid. One of my favorite games was a precursor to Civ, and probably why I am addicted to Civ now, called 'Utopia', created in 1981.

You and your opponent each have an island to rule. You can be an agressive and militaristic dictator go to war against the other island or you can peacefully manage food, housing and industries that determine the welfare of your people but you can not manage natural disasters. And if welfare drop some people may turn into rebels. The score is determined by a number of factors that make up the welfare on your island.

The thing I used to hate the most were the frequent hurricanes which would wipe out stuff you would build.

The game was pushed by a modest marketing campaing but still sold some 250.000 copies witch made it one of the more successfull Intellivision games.

Utopia is sometimes referred to as “Civilization 0.5”.

Here are some screenshots of Utopia:

Flashback.

I loved this game. There's nothing quite like watching in terror as that hurricane heads towards your precious buildings.

The other Intellivision games I loved were B-17 Bomber, Dungeons & Dragons and the one where you moved fleets of ships around islands to attack opponents.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Intellivsion was for weenies

Commodore 64 was a man's gaming machine

Comment

I have to say I used to look on the kids that got Intellevison for Xmas with scorn and derision

-Jam
        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

You can still see the resentment of the Intellivision losers cause they didn't even mention the c-64 in their list of systems.

Comment

Whoa. I think you people are kind of harsh. Intellivision is all we could afford. Are you flaming me because I was poorer than you?! F*ck off! Eventually, we were able to get a C-64 with a souped-up floppy drive, and yes, the C-64 games were better, but for a while, Intellivision ruled at our house.

Boris, the AD&D game was good, but Tron was even better.

Comment

My C-64 was actually priced a little cheaper than the Intellivision.

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb
                My C-64 was actually priced a little cheaper than the Intellivision.
                Brand new, that might have been the case. We got our Intellivision pre-owned, though...

Comment

I got a used intellivision as well.

but I can't remmeber the games I had, one seems like the DnD thing and I think I had some genero tron game. good times

Comment

Christ you people can start an arguement over nothing.

NO ONE CARES IF YOU DON'T LIKE INTELEVISION!

I know it's a cliche, but if you don't have anything to add to the thread don't post in it.
                    cIV list: cheats
                    Now watch this drive!

Comment

We got out Intellivision through an uncle as a present, and we also had an Atari 2600 and Apple IIe computer. So it wasn't like we were lacking in the hardware department.

Regardless, the Intellivision had some wonderfully creative games on it, and it actually had voices in the games, unlike other systems at the time. It was in many ways pretty sophisticated.
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by bfg9000
                        Whoa. I think you people are kind of harsh. Intellivision is all we could afford. Are you flaming me because I was poorer than you?! F*ck off! Eventually, we were able to get a C-64 with a souped-up floppy drive, and yes, the C-64 games were better, but for a while, Intellivision ruled at our house.

Boris, the AD&D game was good, but Tron was even better.
                        C-64's were cheap, at least after they've been out a while. We got ours for $200. And we were dirt poor. We had to by it with the lay-away program. It took a while before we had enough money to take it home. And then we only had the tape deck. It was a while longer before we had the floppy disk drive.

As for the Intellivision, to be honest, I have never actually seen one, nor known someone who had one. I have no idea what games were on it.

The only systems I actually seen as a kid were the Atari 2600. As for actual computers I have seen many. C64, Vic20, Commodore PET (we actually used these in computer science in my middle school ), Apple II computers, TSR-80's.

Comment

they should make more games liek that.
                          Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                          Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

If you would like to see any more screen shots of your favorite Intellivision games go here: http://www.vgmuseum.com/intellivision.htm

Comment

Working...
                            X