Advance Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advance Wars

I tried searching for past Advance Wars topics but couldn't find any. So I therefore wondered if nobody here was into the game. I haven't had such fun with a turn based game since Alpha Centauri. It is of course only available for the Gameboy Advance, and it does have that cute, Japanese style that might be a turn off for some. But it is thoroughly addictive and worthwhile if you own the Nintendo handheld in question.

Bkeela.
    Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Looks cool.

I'll have to see if I can get an emulator.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I considered it once, but have repeatedly decided against it because I had better things to do with my money at the time.

If anyone, however, busts through the screen and strangles me demanding "GET THSI GAME IT ROXORZ IT IS 10/10 SCORESZORZ" then I might change my mind.
      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

I'll try not to be so obnoxious as that, but I can honestly recommend both of them (even if the second is less a sequel and more an expansion pack). Tactically, it's surprisingly deep and as was mentioned, addicting.

Bkeela--if you haven't checked out the second one, you should. It's the same graphics and control schemes, but the balance is much better and there's more CO's and stuff.
        Talent Optional

Comment

I have it. It´s quite enjoyable for newbies. If you´re into strategy however. You´ll finish it in on the first try. Just a matter of applied and concentrated forces.

It really is that easy, so damn easy that I was wondering why people even had trouble getting through the easy levels.

There are a lot of extra bonus maps but they mostly turn out into slugfests. You know you´re going to win after the 3 th turn but simply cannot be bothered to go for it.
          Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
            I'm a newbie, and I like it
            We all have to start somewhere

Try
            Adv Strat Command when you ´re ready.
            Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Fun game.

Alot of gameboy Advance games are, actually. It's like the good ol' days of SNES all over again.

It worked well on my laptop too, good for traveling. (even though running the emulator sucks up all the batteries in a half hour ) I'd be inclined to buy an actual gameboy advance if I was materialist.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by CapTVK
                It really is that easy, so damn easy that I was wondering why people even had trouble getting through the easy levels.
                Therein lies the appeal of multiplayer -- opponents who have a chance of knowing what the hell they're doing.
                Talent Optional

Comment

I'm far from a newbie when it comes to turn based strategy, yet I'm not finding the game that easy. Any turn based game has a point where victory is inevitable, and it is only a matter of mopping up. Anyway, it is not the level of difficulty that is most important. Addictive fun gameplay is what I want.

Playing GBA games through an emulator kind of defeats the purpose.

CapitanGarlic: I was originally going to get Advance Wars 2, but when I saw the first one on the shelf, which I thought was only available through import, I grabbed it instead. Shall eventually get the sequel.

Comment

great game... i haven't started the 2nd one but i did manage to beat the first one all the way through. i got s or a on most levels iirc. there are a few boards which are hard at first but after a try or two you should be able to overcome them.
                    Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

Originally posted by Bkeela

Playing GBA games through an emulator kind of defeats the purpose.
                      Not if you play it on a laptop.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Playing GBA games through an emulator kind of defeats the purpose
                        Granted.

Comment

Advance Wars is a really excellent game. Very good learning curve on the campaign too, I thought. I found most levels to be just challenging enough to make it interesting, but not so hard as to make them irritating or boring.
                          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Ya, I think i'll look for an emulator!
                            Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                            Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Working...
                            X