where the magazines agree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where the magazines agree

I recently catalogued all my reviews in game magazines into a works database, because I was tired of random hunting to find a review.

I gave each of them a common rating translated from the magazine rating, in order to compare. especially after the Postal 2 debacle, where CGW gave it a zero star rating (which is ridiculous since they never gave a half star rating) (Common rating = Z-), and PC Gamer gave it 80%

Common ratings go (mostly) from A+ to F-

I've noticed that very few games are agreed by more than one mag to be either very bad or very good, getting a A+ or F- rating. Where one mag will be very impressed, the others will generally be less so. as for the really bad games, most of the stinkers will fall under the radar of the others.

There are a few, though.

(Note, this only applies to the magazines I have or have access to. mostly PC Gamer, CGW, and CGM since 2000)

There is only one game I have found to be universally praised by 3 magazines.

SimCity 2000

The following have been given A+ by 2 magazines.

Baldurs Gate II: Shadows Of Amn (3rd mag gives it an A)

Freedom Force (3rd mag gives it an A)

Knights Of The Old Republic (3rd Mag gives it an A)

Superbike 2001 (3rd mag gives it a B+)

Black & White (3rd mag gives it a C+)

Contrarily, there is only one game given a 3 way F-

Celebrity Deathmatch

There are also a few given F- by 2 mags

Hooters Road Trip (no 3rd review)

Jazz And Faust (no 3rd review)

Freedom: First Resistance (3rd mag gives it an F)

New World Order (3rd mag gives it a D+)

Squad Leader (3rd mag gives it a C)

Now, I'm sure that lots of people have played these A+ games, but I can't recall anyone ever even mentioning these F- games. These games are probably so bad they faded immediately into obscurity. has anyone here actually Played these purported pieces of crap?
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Hooter's road trip
    The title alone says it all really !
    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Metacritic aggregates music, game, tv, and movie reviews from the leading critics. Only Metacritic.com uses METASCORES, which let you know at a glance how each item was reviewed.
      cIV list: cheats
      Now watch this drive!

Comment

Bit o' time on your hands FB?

Comment

It looks like they haven't seen "Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing" yet.

Comment

Black and White sucks.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

there is a site which compiles various reviews and averages them.

gamerankings.com

Comment

I subscribe to CGW

the reason why they hated Postal 2 was because of the objectionable content- though they loved Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City.

They do explain why they liked the GTA games but don't like Postal 2 in one of their issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                  Black and White sucks.
                  Well it's a love-it-or-hate-it game. I hated it also.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

Well it's a love-it-or-hate-it game. I hated it also.
                    Well I hated it too because you could only play it the evil way and it could be fun, or you could tear your hair out while playing it good way.
                    SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

It was too Simsy for my tastes.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                        It was too Simsy for my tastes.
                        Well if you have a buch of people who can`t build a building, watch on resources, cut the forest down, do not care for food levels, grow infinetly but can dance around stone... FIREBALL!
                        SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

You can train your creature to do stuff. Eventually. Of course, one slip of the mouse and all your hard work is destroyed. Or one battle with a stronger enemy. Or...

Or maybe I just sucked at it. Regardless, I didn't like it either.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Seems like we can all agree: B&W sucks

But I'm very much dissturbed after just seing all those green things at this game:

Metacritic aggregates music, game, tv, and movie reviews from the leading critics. Only Metacritic.com uses METASCORES, which let you know at a glance how each item was reviewed.

I downloaded the game, played it for an hour, before deleting it... it was about the most unplayable junk I've ever played... that's until I met this game:

This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Black and White was generally good, although the creature AI was pathetic, and its replay value limited. I had fun if nobody else did.
                              Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Working...
                              X