Do MMORPG's ever die?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do MMORPG's ever die?

I think I read in a magzine that Ultima online is still around. It seems as if that game has been around a while. And Everquest will still continue after Everquest 2 comes out.

But what about games that don't do well. Are they ever cancelled? Or do they have enough paying customers to keep it going on a small scale?

I've never heard of a MMORPG shutting down. I mean, even The Realm is still going. But they can die away to much less than they originally where. Shadowbane has.

Ultima Online couldn't even be called the same game, they've changed it so much.

Everquest probably has 3 times the content it did when released from all those damned expansions.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

compuserve was bought out by aol i believe, and Sierra On-Line went belly up. Prodigy also died, but i they didn't have as many games as the others.

Comment

Many of the 1st (or should that be 0th?) generation have shut down. Others like the Realm have downscaled to the point of being only minimally rather than massively multiplayer

I'd expect the newer and bigger games to suffer from this more. Once they fail as a major commercial product then they will not be able to be run by a couple of dozen fans on a single server so they will close for good. I can only think of Motor City online at the moment but recent disappointing games may well soon follow.
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

A game with more than two players and a multiplayer function never dies.

Unless both players are just really incredibly boring.
          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

has star wars galaxies improved at all, I heard it was a major disappointment. ANybody play Final Fantasy XI (or whatever is online) and what are your thoughs.

Comment

galaxies now has mounts and vehicles. And the developers "nudged" players to finally discover how to be a jedi. They had to make it easier I suppose. And still only a few have become jedi I believe.

But I don't think that does anything for the gameplay. Which I believe is still lacking in some areas.

I only seen it on my brother's computer. I still have yet to buy a mmorpg . I have thought about buying everquest, but I never have. I may buy everquest 2, but I'm beginning to think that isn't a good idea. I may get world of warcraft as well even though I have never played any of the warcraft games.

Comment

I think Star Wars Galaxies pretty much killed itself by coming into existence in the first place
                Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Speaking of MMORPG's, what, other than Everquest, is a good mmorpg to invest in?

Comment

Originally posted by bipolarbear
                    Speaking of MMORPG's, what, other than Everquest, is a good mmorpg to invest in?
                    Other then Everquest?

That's the first one you don't want to invest in.

Dark Age of Camelot is, I think, the best and most well-rounded (meaning, something for everyone) MMORPG available at the moment. Shadowbane can be good if you are purely interested in PvP, but it has alot of problems. I haven't played any others, so I can't recomend or warn against them.

And if you want a warsim, WWII Online is great. Planetside is alright, too... but it's more like a giant game of Tribes, and doesn't try to be a real simulation.

There are alot of new MMORPGs in development, however. Dark and Light and World of Warcraft are the two I'm most looking forward to.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

PvP?

Shadowbane can be good if you are purely interested in PvP, but it has alot of problems.
                      what does PvP mean?

Comment

Re: PvP?

Originally posted by bipolarbear

what does PvP mean?
                        What a newb.

Player vs. Player - It's the main feature of Shadowbane, it has open PvP (I think the only MMORPG to still have that) and player built nations and cities that can be attacked and destroyed. The game is lacking alot, however. Even in the nation building (it's main feature), there isn't really anything to give purpose to cities and politics outside of having a place to spawn and wanting to kill people.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

thanks for putting up with my newbie questions

Comment

are there any other good warisms?

Comment

I just told you, WWII Online.

It takes a real serious aproach, though - if you're looking for straight action, Planetside would probably be better. In WWII Online you can spend half an hour driving in a tank collumn only to be taken out by an ambush before even seeing an enemy. You have to really coordinate with other people and take part in organized attacks, or your time will be spent running/driving for hours only to be killed by people you don't see.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                              X