Should I get a GameCube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get a GameCube?

Ok, so the last console I got was a Nintendo 64 (which I split with my bro), but I hardly played anything on it.

So when the Gamecube dropped to $99, I thought it may be time to get a new console for games only on consoles (like NCAA 2004) or games that work better on consoles (like sports games or platformers). I figured the Playstation 2 and then the X-Box would drop to the $99 mark (based on rumors), but that hasn't come to pass.

The thing that appeals most about the GC is the price tag. I can't justify $180 or whatever for X-Box or PS2. I personally like the X-Box the best of all three. So should I go for the GC or wait for the X-Box/PS2 to come down in price or what?
    Yes!
    34.78%
    No, get a PS2
    13.04%
    No, get an X-Box
    13.04%
    No, wait for X-Box/PS2 to come down in price
    0.00%
    No, don't get any
    30.43%
    No, get a banana
    8.70%
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

I vote PS2, as in Play Sony Twice as hard. I reckon you will notice the price difference when playing the games.

Have fun either way.
    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
    I am of the Horde.

Comment

I have none of this generation of consoles, but were I to get one I would get the GameCube.
      Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Actually, CT, since the GC price drop, it's been selling very well. Had they not dropped the price, perhaps you'd be correct.

Imran: It comes down to the games you want to play. Can your PC handle KOTOR? If not, then pick up an XBox to play it. Knowing your love of Baldur's Gate, this is waaaaay better than BG, especially if you like the Star Wars setting. Done right.

If you do pick up a GC, get Eternal Darkness though. Great game experience there. If you have people to play it with, Super Smash Brothers Melee is pretty much a requirement. Possibly Soul Calibur II as well, if you're into fighting.

I was half-tempted to pick up a Cube myself back when they had that Zelda bonus disc offer, but I think I missed out on it. Sigh.
        All syllogisms have three parts.
        Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Can your PC handle KOTOR?

Yep... and I've beaten it. Good game .

And I mostly want the GC for NCAA 2004. But extras are good .
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

PS2

Comment

If you didn't play your N64 much, you won't play a Gamecube much. I didn't play my N64 much except for Goldeneye, Mario 64, Mario Kart, and Perfect Dark...

And my Gamecube sits idle for months on end. Regret buying it.

If you're into console RPGs (Final Fantasy, Dark Cloud, etc), go PS2.
              Otherwise, go Xbox.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

And my Gamecube sits idle for months on end. Regret buying it.

If you're into console RPGs (Final Fantasy, Dark Cloud, etc), go PS2.
                Otherwise, go Xbox.
                But you've RPG's like Morrowind game of the year on xbox - its got to be one of the ultimate console rpg's?
                Add KOTOR to the mix for a great starwars rpg and with 'Fable' around the corner, you have maybe the most involved and complete rpg's on any console?

Anyway why not sell/part exchange your old N64? that way the stretch for an xbox wont be so bad...........

but yeah the Gamecube may seem cheap, but there might be a reason why.
                'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

I voted for don't get any.

Comment

But you've RPG's like Morrowind game of the year on xbox - its got to be one of the ultimate console rpg's?

I ain't gonna play RPGs on the thing . I got a PC for that... and Morrowind & KOTOR on my PC.

If you didn't play your N64 much, you won't play a Gamecube much.

Well there were a few reasons for not playing the N64... mainly because I went away to school soon after getting it and the system stayed at home. That, and I really didn't like the controller.

I'd basically be getting it for NCAA 2004, maybe Tony Hawk (maybe not though), and perhaps some other titles here and there.

And it ~$100 cheaper than the others .

Comment

dont get ps2. ps2 tends to break easy. (sony claims new models dont have as much problems, but you'll probably end up sending that one back to sony within an year...) And if ur really unlucky, warranty wont cover for that ****.

get an xbox. its only 50 bucks more than gc and ou'll like the games more if ur a pc gamer.
                      :-p

Comment

ps2s break?

mines till works perfectly and Ive had it for long enough to forget when I got it.

Comment

(I have both a ps2 and GC)

I feel like killing myself while waiting for NCAA2004 to load on the PS2. The load times are atrocious.

If I were you, I would get a GC, since the sports games are all very similar if not exact, and the 50 bucks saved can get you a game (or two used).

I would get a ps2 if I were used to the controller (ps2 has, imho, the best controller of the 3) and needed a dvd player. Barring that, and the final fantasy games, I would go GC. SMKD is more enjoyable for me than any exclusive ps2 game I've played

Comment

asleep: How is the GC's control pad for sports gaming?

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                              asleep: How is the GC's control pad for sports gaming?
                              Its alright, it took a little while for me to adjust from the PS2 pad, but once I did, it worked well. The oddest button is the Z (?), small button on the front of the controller used by the right index finger. A bit awkward to use that one in conjuntion with the large button right below it. Since you are used to the N64, it probably won't be as big a leap for you as it was for me to get used to it, evolutionary and whatnot.

I've played the NHL and SSX (among others) series on the GC and have found them to as easily played as on the PS2, once I got used to it. You might go to EB or something and just check out the button layout, since sports games require a bit more tactile control than other games.

Comment

Working...
                              X