Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you play to win or do you play for fun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my phases:

1. play on easy, learn the controls and basic strats.

2. master the basic strats, kick the computer's butt.

3. once i'm winning 70-80% on the hardest level, switch to making the highest "score".

4. once the highest score is achieved, go for the win with the weakest settings.

5. once this is achieved, put game away.

6. 1-10 years later, begin again with step 1.

for mp:

1. 1-2 same as above.

2. measure myself vs. other players, usually in cooperative play or on boards comparing time/score/speed, etc.

3. once i feel i have hit the upper elite, get bored.

4. put game away for 1-10 years, then back to step 1.

My personal theory on winning vs. losing:

For any given game that I like, i will probably play 1,000-10,000 games of it. my lifetime record at any given game, given the above phases, is usually 60/40. one more win or one more loss won't make a difference, so i play for the beauty of well-played game.

while this may be fun for some, i don't feel it is as much fun as satisfaction...thus, i chose bananas.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

I'm not sure...........caring enough to play competitively usually means it can easily get to you if things go badly. To this day I use a keyboard with the 0 the = and the numpad 8 missing. I think the 0 and the = was when I lost a FFA Quake3 match by 1 frag (80-79 IIRC) to the one of the top players in Europe at the time. The numpad 8 was when I let myself get beaten by a lame human tower rush at WC3.

And I'm relatively calm.

I always refused to replace it since it's always the first line of attack. However I play less MP these days so I finally have a new one ready to use with my new system.
      without something at stake, i cant imagine getting mad. And I play very competitively. I might get mad if you were trying to hustle me or something, or trash talk excessively.
      :-p

Comment

My MP gaming philosophy is this:

I'm not going to win, so I might as well practice my skills at harassing the enemy.

What i usually do in multiplayer is pick someone at random, and I'll aid them. I'll defend their cities, or go distract the enemy, or give me money or whatever.
        And they usually win and I consider it an extension that I win as well Even if I didn't.
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

The only answer is that you play for fun....period.

You can't say that you play to win instead of for fun, simply because if you feel that way, winning in and of itself is FUN for you.

Therefore, even if you believe that you play to win, in essence you play for fun....

for winning to you is fun.

end
          While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Please... do us a favor and read the thread so we dont reiterate same thing over and over again.
            :-p

Comment

excuse me?

these threads excel at rehashing
              While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

I play for fun. But that's because so that I won't cry if I lose.
                Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Working...
                X