Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dissident
    well the point is moot anyways.

With the restricted size of game boxes, is it still possible to include a great game manual now days?
    Yes, it sure is. Sim City 4 (small box) included a decent manual. I say decent because it was short and expected people to already know SC concepts.

NWN came with an inch thick spiral-bound manual, listing all the spells, classes, tables, etc.
    cIV list: cheats
    Now watch this drive!

Comment

I take it that you're the only person in the world that read the first part of the Homeworld Manual then

Oh, I've never really played Homeworld.

Incidently, my award for the most over the top manual of all time goes to that for Microsoft's Close Combat 1. For no obvious reason, that puppy included a 40 page history of WW2.

SWEET!

Later a friend of mine owned Civ 1. It looked impressive so I borrowed the manual and read it front to cover in one sitting. Whoa!

Yeah, I really miss those manuals...

Me too . Civ 2's was great as well.

Master of Orion 3 had a good manual. Lot's of back story, very readable, ect... It's a good thing that they where so dedicated and cared so much about giving a great gaming experience.

I never bought Moo3, so I can't analyize how good the manual was. One game that sucked with a good manual... man, that really proves your point .

And then there's a game like Deus Ex. I mean, did it even have a manual?

Yes it did... it wasn't horrible, but nothing great either.

And I don't know why you brought it up, Deus Ex, while being a good game, had a sub-par tutorial / in game help. A lot of stuff was just trial-and-error if you hadn't read the manual.

NWN came with an inch thick spiral-bound manual, listing all the spells, classes, tables, etc.

--

The best manuals were definetly the Interplay RPGs. Fallout 1 & 2, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Planescape: Torment. GREAT manuals. Morrowind could have used a better manual, perhaps with a nice history of the world (in addition to the history in the books).

Man, I miss those great manuals.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij

Later a friend of mine owned Civ 1. It looked impressive so I borrowed the manual and read it front to cover in one sitting. Whoa!

Yeah, I really miss those manuals...
        The fun part of the civ 1 manual was the 'anti-piracy' protection. Prior to buying it I had an *ahem* unauthorized version *ahem* so I had to try to figure out the answers to the questions. I played it so much I eventually knew them all
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

You should have *ahem* a better version *ahem*, mine didn't have this problem...

As I later bought the game, I never actually played the original version... why risk that it might get destroyed, if you've got another copy
          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Ah, how the phrase 'anti-piracy protection' brings back happy memories of reading tiny black numbers printed on red cardboard.
            'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
            - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Though Monkey Island was so funny it managed to even get a laugh from its copy protection. I still smile at the Lame-O-Copy protection system.

Comment

Never played it... how was it?

Comment

The same style as those 'wheels' where you align stuff and read a code, but they were just taking the mickey.

Comment

*Pulls old Monkey Island Box off the shelf*

When the game opened you were presented with the picture of a pirate and asked you the year the pirate was hanged in. You then matched up the top and bottom of that pirate's picture on a cardboard wheel that came with the game. When you did so the date the pirate was hanged appeared in a little hole in the wheel.
                    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

nice

Comment

I love reading manuals that have useful information in them. There's nothing worse than a manual to a detailed game that leaves out the important stuff because they want to flog a strategy guide.
                        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                        H.Poincaré

Comment

just got done reading most of the BG2 PDF manual. I had never read that manual despite playing that game through a few times. I never had the paper manual, didn't realize I had a pdf file.

While a PDF is better than nothing, I still miss books. I really feel like that person in Vault City in Fallout 2 who misses the day of books before everything went on holodisk . There's just something natural flipping pages back and forth.

BTW does anyone know how you can go to a specific page with acrobat reader? The BG2 manual is 266 pages, it takes a long time going through one page at a time- even with the mousewheel or the arrows down at the bottom.

Comment

Document - Go To Page or just ctrl-N should do it.
                            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                            H.Poincaré

Comment

Stonekeep, a great game, had a decent manual.
                              More importantly: in the box was included a book "Thera's Awakening" which gave a background of the game. Very impressive, just like the game btw! I like it when developers do that, but I understand it's rather difficult to write a book along with your game.
                              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                              "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

What I miss is the tech tree posters that often came with the games.

...and yeah, I read the manuals - most of the time before I even load up the game on my system. Just to get a basic feel of what to expect when I do start playing...
                                Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                                ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Working...
                                X