Nuclear War - Video Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Miller
    there is one on the underdogs, but that isn't the one I played (the one I played was not graphical)
    You mean this one:

?

By New World Computing, released in 1989? I thought you said there was one like that recently?
    XBox Live: VovanSim
    xbox.com (login required)
    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
    Spore page

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
      I just wanted to tell you that you used 9 (!!!!) "" smileys in your post. A bit trippy today are we?

That's because I only have two weeks left till the winter vacation. Can't believe the fall semster is almost over. Although I still have the exams to pass.

Spore page

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
        there is one on the underdogs, but that isn't the one I played (the one I played was not graphical)

OJn Miller
        There are certain dogs that we are not allowed to speak about here on Apolyton. Underdogs fall in that category

Asmodean
        Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean
          There are certain dogs that we are not allowed to speak about here on Apolyton. Underdogs fall in that category
          How about some feedback on my ideas over there? Or maybe the thing is too long to read?
          Spore page

Comment

Your ideas look fine. However, I'm still reeling from the fact that you said ADG had too much time on his hands when he built his website for the game.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
              Your ideas look fine.
              Thanks... Anything more constructive than that?

However, I'm still reeling from the fact that you said ADG had too much time on his hands when he built his website for the game.
              Why is that?
              Spore page

Comment

Vovan >> Yep, that's the one

Ok, there's some different ideas in that game (No governments, not spies, but more tactical orders)

I haven't looked at your idea yet... at least not much, but one thing "concerns" me:

Are you planning on making this a MP game, or only against AI... making it hotseat, or online/LAN... or a PBEM game?

In most of these parts, you can't really use the spy (Only in online/LAN games) since there wont be time to change the orders from other people (Take a look at the thread game... none of the players has yet to actually use the 'spying' part, because: The player who's spyed haven't sent orders, the spying player sends the orders too late, or might not come online before the turn has ended...)

Maybe you should wait with the spying part until you have finished the other parts of the game... But the sabotage could be used (And has been used several times in the thread game)

Just out of curiosity: In what language are you going to program this game? Programming-language that is
                This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I've used spying once, and I know someone else has too.
                  Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                  Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Yes, several people have used a spy, but none has actually made a difference with the spying... no wait... you're the only one who made a difference after using a spy IIRC

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                      I haven't looked at your idea yet... at least not much, but one thing "concerns" me:

Are you planning on making this a MP game, or only against AI... making it hotseat, or online/LAN... or a PBEM game?
                      Well, that is one of the biggest points I'm stuck against. I would actually like to make the game multiplayer, because it is much more fun to play it against human opponents as the thread game has shown. However, one problem here is that it probably won't work too well in real-time MP. Turn-based games in general aren't really good MP-makers. However, PBEM is a definite yes, as well as maybe some kind of mode where it allows you to enter the orders for all players and see the results, sort of for facilitating the resolution of turn orders for an actual thread game manager such as yourself.

Originally posted by ADG
                      In most of these parts, you can't really use the spy (Only in online/LAN games) since there wont be time to change the orders from other people (Take a look at the thread game... none of the players has yet to actually use the 'spying' part, because: The player who's spyed haven't sent orders, the spying player sends the orders too late, or might not come online before the turn has ended...)
                      Indeed. I am having trouble conceptualizing the idea of the Observe spy order, or Gather Intelligence, as I chose to call it. That is why I chose to make it so the spy will report the next turn's orders, instead of this turn's orders. However, that can only work for a computer opponent, which can make orders before the player, and thus they can be reported to the player at the beginning of his turn. That will not, however, work worth a damn in a real-time MP game.

Originally posted by ADG
                      Just out of curiosity: In what language are you going to program this game? Programming-language that is
                      As per the class requirement, the game has to be written in Java. That makes the GUI part easy as pie, but doesn't lend itself well to pretty graphics. Which is partly the reason I chose a game such as this, where the map is not very interactive - you only click on it when choosing a city to bomb or some such, but it does have plenty of user interface elements: orders to choose from, turn reports, etc..

If the requirement was to write the game in C++, I probably would have chosen something else, where there's minimal user interface and everything is done through keyboard and mouse, and there is more need for fancy graphics.
                      Spore page

Comment

If it wasn't because it was a school project, I would have offered to help (Not that I'm that good at programming... but I do know a little java... have never tried to make any games though)
                        Maybe you could post the source files after the project has finished, and we could (Those at Apolyton who's interested) help finishing the last parts of the game (if you don't manage to do everything beforehand)...
                        ...just an idea...
                        I'd defently like to see this game

Comment

However, I'm still reeling from the fact that you said ADG had too much time on his hands when he built his website for the game.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                            Vovan >> Yep, that's the one
                            Okay, I looked at the information I could find on the Internet about that game, and it looks like it is basically a computerized version of the Nuclear War card game. I believe the 'Poly thread Nuclear War game is a bit different from that, so it should be all good.
                            Spore page

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                              If it wasn't because it was a school project, I would have offered to help (Not that I'm that good at programming... but I do know a little java... have never tried to make any games though)
                              Maybe you could post the source files after the project has finished, and we could (Those at Apolyton who's interested) help finishing the last parts of the game (if you don't manage to do everything beforehand)...
                              ...just an idea...
                              I'd defently like to see this game
                              Well, I don't know yet. Like I said, I still have about a month to come up with the proposal paper for the class, so I may still change my mind about exactly which project I will be doing. This game may not fit a couple of requirements we have... However, I would like to still keep on polishing the design of this: I am sure it would make a fun game in the end.

I would like to hear some input from Jamski, though, him being the original starter of this nuking deal. *hint, hint, Jam*
                              Spore page

Comment

Originally posted by vovan
                                Okay, I looked at the information I could find on the Internet about that game, and it looks like it is basically a computerized version of the Nuclear War card game. I believe the 'Poly thread Nuclear War game is a bit different from that, so it should be all good.

Nuclear War card game?

Didn't know such thing existed... never seen it in Denmark

Comment

Working...
                                X