This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IWD II is much better than IWD I
    True. IWD2 has the best game engine of the IE games too.

I am bored of Icewind Dale. It's storyline is just not doing any kind of job of grabbing me.
    Its not about the story - its just hack'n'slash. IWD was the response to complaints that BG1 was too freeform, only let you make once character and didn't have enough combat.

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamski

didn't have enough combat.

-Jam

Do most RPG's have more combat than BG?
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• No.

-Jam
        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

No.

-Jam

OK are there some RPG's with LESS combat then BG? Or is an Adventure game the better option for interactive fiction with minimal combat?
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• I think most RPGs have a certain combat element... *thinks* yeah, if you never want to draw a sword, then an adventure game is probably better.

-Jam

Comment

I think most RPGs have a certain combat element... *thinks* yeah, if you never want to draw a sword, then an adventure game is probably better.

-Jam
              Not necessarily never, but say not every as much as in BG. In BG i have to draw a sword numerous times in every wilderness area, against hostile NPC's, against monsters, and against whoever appears when i try to rest. Plus dungeons, where i seem to fighting several times a level.

I understand that the existence of non-violent quests is frustrating enough for some to want a MORE combat focused game, but it would seem possible to have one that still has combat, but where combat is infrequent, coming up at key points in the plot, etc, rather than being say, 70% of the game, as it is in BG1. I mean I see the need to have to fight would be assasins, kill bandits, fight mulvahey, etc to advance the plot. But theres alot more combat in BG1 than that.

Comment

• try out planescape torment

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• My next module has hardly any combat. Its nice for a change, but after a while you really want to just go and whomp the villagers.

-Jam

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller
                    try out planescape torment

Jon Miller

Planescape: Torment is an excellent game. Probably the best story of the RPG's I've played... and I haven't even finished it yet (so many games... so little time) There is plenty of combat but it doesn't seem as prevalent.

Comment

• That is one game I'd love to play - but 60 euros on ebay is a bit mad.

-Jam

Comment

• PS:T sounds like the game id buy, if i bought another RPG soon. But i take it that its out of print despite popularity, like SMAX?

Comment

• Another one that I've just started to give a try is Soulbringer. ...so far story over combat is about 70:30 (so there you go LOTM) ...and I have to admit that I stayed up rather late last night because i became engrossed by the story The game got mixed reviews I think maybe because people were expecting a BG clone and it doesn't use the AD&D system.

Ohh and by the way I got it for $10 dollars in the bargain bin in dual package with Planescape: Torment

Comment

• Where? What shop? When?

/me salivates at the prospect of PS:T *

-Jam

Comment

• Oh I guess it was about 4 months ago at "Hastings" in Boise, Idaho.

Comment

• Yikes, I just did a search and this game is hard to come by, I guess that I got lucky by grabbing it when I did. The only place I could find PS:T was Ebay. My only advice is to scour the bargain bins and keep your fingers crossed

Comment

Working...
                                X