Looking for game recommendations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for game recommendations...

...so I assume I've come to the right place.

Here's the deal: the fact that I live abroad and that I've let my daughter's Sims Expansion Packs slowly colonize the family laptop means that I haven't played a new game in ages. I don't even know what's out there. But a return to the US is in my future, as is a new computer (or, at least, a reclamation of the laptop) AND a game console (haven't decided yet between PS2 and Xbox), so I can begin to dream again.

I'm not that big a gamer, but here are some games I like, and why I liked them. Based on these, tell me what other games you think I should try:

RPGs: Planescape: Torment; Fallout; Baldur's Gate
    Those 3 are listed in the order I enjoyed playing them. I liked Planescape best because its hack-and-slash factor was so low, and it required so much thought to complete. While I liked Baldur's Gate, it did seem like every quest was of the "go-there/do-that/kill-anything-that-gets-in-your-way" variety. Fallout split the difference between these two approaches. BUT, I did like the greater variability in the characters you get to play in BG, as well as the greater choice of NPCs and resulting higher degree of replayability. Finally, I like the 3rd-person perspective in these; Deus Ex, with its 1st-person perspective, wasn't as interesting.

Strategy: Civ2, Civ3, SimCity2000
    Those are in no particular order. The juxtaposition of Civs with SimCity might seem weird, but it makes sense if you consider that I liked the empire-building-and-management part of Civ more than the military conquest part. Replayability is a huge factor here; I gave up on Roller Coaster Tycoon very quickly because the replayability factor was, for me, very low.

So, what do you think? TIA.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

RPGs:
    Golden Sun 1&2 (Gameboy, but they are very good)
    Morrowind (Probably not laptop material)
    Baldur's Gate 2
    Deus Ex is REALLY good. Just give it a chance. I hated it at first, but its REALLY good.
    System Shock 2 (Scary game. REALLY scary game.)

Strategy:
    SMACX (MUCH better than even Civ2)
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

RPG: Morrowind and BG2 if you liked the first one.

TBS: Try Galciv, or maybe branch out into the fantasy TBS genre, since many of those games have RPG elements. I haven't played it myself yet, but Warlords4 is a game I plan to play soon.

Comment

Only play BG2 if you want to say goodbye to your life. This is one of my "desert island games" along with SMAC.

-Jam
        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
          Only play BG2 if you want to say goodbye to your life. This is one of my "desert island games" along with SMAC.

-Jam
          I liked BG, but it didn't make me say goodbye to my life. One reason was that, while you could vary your characters and party, that didn't change any other part of the game; playing as a good cleric, neutral bard, or evil fighter still meant playing the exact same game in pretty much the exact same way.

So what's so compelling about BG2?
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
            TBS: Try Galciv, or maybe branch out into the fantasy TBS genre, since many of those games have RPG elements. I haven't played it myself yet, but Warlords4 is a game I plan to play soon.
            Just looked at the official sites for each of these, and they look really interesting. Thanks!

Comment

No problem. The Civ3 Conquests x-pack looks worth a punt as well.

Comment

Just for fun, you might want to check out the XIII demo...
                cIV list: cheats
                Now watch this drive!

Comment

If you liked Baldur's Gate you might want to check out the latest game by the same developers. It's called Knights of the Old Republic (http://www.lucasarts.com/products/swkotor/) and is a Star Wars RPG.
                  Unlike most film licenses it is actually an excellent game and well worth checking out. It is available for both XBox and PC.

One reason was that, while you could vary your characters and party, that didn't change any other part of the game; playing as a good cleric, neutral bard, or evil fighter still meant playing the exact same game in pretty much the exact same way.

In Knights of the Old Republic you can develop your character either on the Light Side or the Dark Side. While the absic storyline is still the same, there are apparently quite a few differences between the two paths, especially when it comes to side quests. Definitely a game worth playing through twice, which is always a bonus.
                  If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

unless they've made huge changes to the PC version Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is VERY linear, and the only difference in the Light and Dark side is the bonus it gives to using certain Force Powers, and some equipment is alignment restricted. Also when you play the dark side you tend to wind up with a lot more money. It's a great game the first time through, if you love star wars, but if you aren't really into star wars then I'd suggest you get spend your money on something else.

Comment

Fair enough, I was just going on what I'd read about it. Perhaps the reviewers exaggerated (as they so often do).
                      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

as far as suggestions go:

RPG: Wizardry 8, it's different from most RPG's and Im sure you can find it for a low price by now, if you can find it.

Strategy: Civ2

Comment

Fair enough, I was just going on what I'd read about it. Perhaps the reviewers exaggerated (as they so often do).
                          never trust a review done by someone you don't know.

Comment

Rufus: I can recommend both GalCiv and Warlords IV (and unlike Spikey, I have played both )

Another one you might want to consider is Europa Universalis II. Paradox make some awesome games, and they are in my mind only a hair behind GalCiv (which is my favourite game of all times).

Asmodean
                            Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Warlords IV or any of the other Warlords titles. I am not a big fan of the Warlords Battlecry series, though.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X