whats a "gaming computer"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats a "gaming computer"?

Some PC manufacturers are now making what they call "gaming computers" My understanding is that these are your usual "bleeding edge" high spec computers, with particularly good video cards.

Seems to me they equate gaming with FPS. Not unreasonable perhaps, since its those folks who buy the bleeding edge rigs, after all.

OTOH it seems to me that for the types of games I prefer, essentially strat games, the limiting factor is usually RAM, not video card, etc. Is that others experience as well? What is the limiting factor for other genres, like RPG's, adventures, etc?
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

It's a combination of CPU, memory, and graphics card IMO.

Having an inferior product as one or more of those components will bottleneck your "gaming experience".

FPS are games that require good specs, but some strategy games require them too, C&C Generals for instance.
    Being able to run "less heavy" games seemlessly on the highest graphical settings is nice too.

Gaming PC manufacturers like Alienware and Falcon Northwest do not only use high-end components, they also try to optimize performance by, for example, optimizing your cabling for good airflow (cooling).

Comment

Not a Mac...
      I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

If optimized cabling is a must for a gaming PC, then nobody wants to use my PC for gaming.

I built my system myself, and I must admit that I payed very little attention to the cabling (except of course getting it right).

Asmodean
        Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

I don't understand why it is almost impossible to buy a computer with more than 256MB of RAM in a computer shop, we all know Win XP is a ram sucker and modern games need at least 518
          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

data, I'm afraid that has to be something Italian..

if I walked into a computer shop here I would have to search for that 256 MB ram for ages, because 512 MB ram is quite standard here
            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Bah! I can build a system that will kick game ass for very nice prices.

State of the Art is just a waste of money. But you do get bragging rights.

Comment

Some PC manufacturers are now making what they call "gaming computers" My understanding is that these are your usual "bleeding edge" high spec computers, with particularly good video cards.
                Thats true, the quote that is. I find RAM was the bottleneck factor for me.

data, I'm afraid that has to be something Italian..
                Unfortunately it's also a NZ thing aswell. When will we catch up .

But you do get bragging rights.
                I had them at the beginning of this year when i moved to uni. It was great. Although the buzz did were off rather quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Flip McWho

Thats true, the quote that is. I find RAM was the bottleneck factor for me.
                  thats kinda what i meant. I have an old 'puter, and when i go to check specs on a game, i usually find its the RAM thats constraining me, not the CPU. And anything that runs, there's no problems (that i can tell anyway) with the videos. But I dont have any action game, so I was wondering if this is an artifact of my genre preferences? Of course it could also be cause my PC is a difficult to upgrade proprietary box. When i get a new PC, I intend to get one where its at least easy to upgrade the memory. Presumably then I might upgrade the RAM to the point where something else is the constraining factor.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by FlameFlash
                    Not a Mac...
                    signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Alienware.
                      :-p

Comment

I never buy whole computers anymore anyways.

I agree, even though I play a lot of computer games, I don't play first person shooters. So FPS isn't a big deal for me. Though I do play some graphics heavy RPG's. So I do need some decent graphics. But I especially need RAM. Especially if I decide to play Star Wars Galaxies (if they fix it), and Everquest 2. I also play Morrowind, and might buy dungeon siege expansion. Also I heard stuff about temple of elemental evil (though I heard about slowdowns with that game- they may need to fix it up). And knights of the old republic is coming to the pc!

But other than those new games I might buy. I will continues to play my old tried and true favourites. Fallout. Baldur's Gate. Even Diablo2 every once in a while when the mood strikes me.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero

Alienware.
                          YEAH that Area 51 rig is da bomb!
                          signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero

Alienware.
                            No, that's "an over priced rip-off"
                            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                            X