Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• board games

I am playing board games again

one thing though is that my current partners are a little less intense than I am

for example, Axis and Allies is a favorite, as was Diplomacy

one thing that people are interested is a game

that has more detailed strategic and tactical peices

as well as more free flowing diplomacy and th elike found in Diplomacy

I think that initial allies is considered less interesting

also I think having the guns versus butter issue would be interesting

and the type of troop issue is a must

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

You lost me at hello...
    "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

hmm

try that again

we are interested in a board game

that has elements of

tactics
      diplomacy

(guns vs butter would also be cool)

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

He didn't say hello, but I agree with Static
        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Jon:

Try World in Flames. Published by Australian Design Group. It's a tactical/strategic world war II board game.

Australian Design Group, World in Flames, Designers, Board & electronic Game publisher, Products incl. World in Flamesâ„¢, 7 Ages, WiF, WCF, DoD, AiF, PatiF, RO

Comment

can you tell me about it?

it seems fairly intense, otherwise cool

I am actually sort of not sure what to do with my grand level world war two needs

I have two copies of 1st edition 3rd Reich

I have a copy of the new Avalanche Press 3rd Reich

I have a copy of Axis and Allies: Europe

possibilities to complete would be

Axis and Allies (original) (or Axis and Allies: Pacific??)
            A World at War (Advanced Third Reich + Rising Sun)
            World in Flames (starter, or Delux or Super Delux)
            Great Pacific War

World in Flames doesn't seem to be that heavy in diplomacy unless I go all out and get the addons which allow other nonhistoric things to go on (but that is a need for a different game)

BTW, how is the civilization board game (the one based upon the Computer game?)

Jon Miller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Axis and allies was really fun. I dont think I have the patience to play board games anymore though.
              :-p

Comment

Too bad Supremacy is still out of print, or is it?
                "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

you can often find an out of print game somewhere

I need to work on getting Avalon Hills Civilization actually (one of my all time favorite games)

axis and allies is all right, I find it a little bit simplistic and unballanced

the game of it that I played last night it actually the first that I have ever really enjoyed

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I was going to say Kingmaker with advanced rules.

Supremacy was very boring when we played it. It looked good for awhile, but got nowhere.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

hmm

that is a thought

I have Kingmaker

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Jon:

If you find Axis and Allies a bit simplistic, WiF might be just what you need. It's got so many different types of unit, you probably won't build them all.

And ignore what it says about the diplomacy aspect. The USA entry settings are VERY complex, and VERY detailed, and I think from memory about 7 in the 50 USA responses deal with actual military (the lend-lease programs to UK/USSR). The diplomacy is actually fairly good, and it's open to a bit of "house rules" and outside game negotiations. Of course, for the fullest depth of diplomacy you would need the diplomacy game add-on.

I would heartily recommend WiF if it's an extremely detailed and deep WWII grand strategic/tactical/diplomacy game you want. Only problem is for a really good game you need 8 players for the 8 majors. Though if you only get 5 (like we had) we just had:

- Germany/Italy
                        - USA/China
                        - Commonwealth/France
                        - Japan
                        - USSR

Comment

1829 - railways not guns (just in case that matters) but plenty of diplomacy, tactics and strategy. Its railway building with some finance but not as much as 1830.

I didn;t really see much connection with the Civ board game and the computer game (other than the name) although i played the Hartland Trefoil version which may (or may not) be the same as the Avalon Hill.

Comment

What about Empire at Arms?
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

the avalon hill game had no connection to the computer game (but is one of the best board games I have ever played and better than the computer game I feel)

I beleive it was the same as the hartland trefoil version

I don't know about empire at arms

I don't have any concern about my being able to handle WiF, I have concerns about my other players handling it (Axis and Allies seems to be at about the level of complexity they prefer)

Jon Miller
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                              X