Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Revival of the squad-based strategy genre, or attack of the clones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revival of the squad-based strategy genre, or attack of the clones?

There is a strange boom of the squad-based strategies going on. It seems strange to me, because one would normally see mostly FPS's and RTS's released all the time, and all the other games being pushed over into their niches, and not generally generating much hype. Also, the squad-based strats haven't gotten much attention ever since Commandos 2 and the older turn-based XCom. And then all of a sudden, everybody seems to be developing one! The most perspective ones which generated most hype so far are: Commandos 3 and UFO: Aftermath, but then there are also the less-known ones, like Silent Storm, and Korea: Forgotten Conflict.

I was just looking at all the squad games recently released or currently in development and wondering: what gives? What caused the sudden spike in the number of those games developed?
    XBox Live: VovanSim
    xbox.com (login required)
    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
    Spore page

I don't but it's about time. When X-com game it was great game and anyone with half a brain could see a lot of potentional in the genre. I've been waiting for something to reach the same level as that game for ages now. I think Aftermath sounds quite corny but people around here seems optimistic.

Comment

I am playing Aftermath, and it is very fun. Actual strategy must be used if you don't want a continuous line of bodybags streaming from your base, and there are multiple valid ways to handle different enemies.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Skanky, you sellout
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Eh? I've always been interested in Aftermath.

Unless you are talking about my playing it now, before it is even released in Australia yet. I always try games before I buy them - saves me from supporting devs who make crap and also saves me money. When they do actually bother to release the game here, I will be buying it. Not the first game I've bought after already having a fully working version of it and it won't be the last.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I´m just playing the demo and it is indeed very fun to play. Can´t wait to play the full version, will get it asap
            Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
              Eh? I've always been interested in Aftermath.

Unless you are talking about my playing it now, before it is even released in Australia yet. I always try games before I buy them - saves me from supporting devs who make crap and also saves me money. When they do actually bother to release the game here, I will be buying it. Not the first game I've bought after already having a fully working version of it and it won't be the last.
              It can't be that............UR pirates all his games.

Comment

It must be the "continuous line of bodybags streaming from your base" line then - I refuse to promote evil.

Comment

don't forget about fallout:tactics

that was a squad based game release a couple of years ago. Not the greatest, but not too bad

Comment

there is a demo for aftermath?

where?

well let me look for it then. I need a fix now

Comment

Working...
                    X