Macrovision plans to foil game pirates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macrovision plans to foil game pirates

Fade software slowly, so slowly, makes copied games unusable. Counts on gamer's frustration to spur sales of the legal code.

Macrovision, the anti-piracy company whose video-protection software has frustrated movie-dubbers for years, is now turning its sights toward gaming. According to an article on New Scientist's Web site, the company's new Fade protection system takes a unique approach to foiling illegal copying.

Instead of ruining the games outright, Fade installs a program that disables the game's functions over time. For example, an illegal copy of Codemasters' Operation Flashpoint, the first title to feature Fade protection, would play fine--at first. Eventually, though, the player would be unable to reload his guns or target opponents accurately, rendering the bootlegged game unplayable.

Ironically, Fade-protected games act much like a demo, giving players a taste of the action and then taking it away. By whetting the appetite of pirates, Macrovision is hoping Fade will help boost sales of its customers' legal copies.

Codemasters' Bruce Everiss seems pleased. "The beauty of this is that the degrading copy becomes a sales promotion tool," he is quoted as saying. "People [will then] go out and buy an original version."
    ========================================
    Source: http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6076592.htm

How interesting, but I think it's naive to believe that a bunch of "educated" programmers are going to outwit the hacking scene. Does this mean though that software companies are actually giving up on traditional methods of cracking down on distribution of pirated games? Also, it seems inevitable that the fadeware is going to affect legitimate players too. This will cause backlash against fadeware and lead to confusion on the hotline as to who has a "legit' game and who doesn't.

It would be kind of cool if it worked. Basically a full feature demo at the outset. They're smoking crack if they think no one will crack that eventually, or that it won't accidentally happen to legitimate game users.

Comment

I don't see how this will make any difference... it's the same cause, just different effect. They're just looking for ways to jerk around with people.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Muha, if I can't reload anymore, I simply uninstall/reinstall and voila
        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

The DVD version that i saw being touted had the DVD actually slowly corrode. I only read a brief press release but the idea was that exposure to air would start the slow decay of the disc. Sounded full of problems and i would have thought people would rent films if they only wanted to watch them for a limited time.
          And if you're going to copy a disc you just do it sooner rather than later.

Comment

I thought this was about Pirates 2

Originally posted by Trajanus
            exactly what I was thinking. Hmm.

Comment

I think a tax software (TaxCut?) company was trying to do copy-protection and they put a file in the boot sector of the hard drive that you can't remove without a low-level format.
              cIV list: cheats
              Now watch this drive!

Comment

Wouldn't that be illegal? Many viruses do the same thing...

And this type of "protection" has been around for years. Hardly new.
                Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

This will no doubt work, at least until someone figures out a way to make it obselete.

Comment

Aslo many games Nowadays are so short you can finish them (Low Replay Value) before it degrades.
                    To be more specific, Me and a Buddy finished Unreal 2 on a Weekend
                    Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Maybe its a good thing - it would help promote games with depth.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Since it is impossible to distinguish between an original and a bit image copy, what that means that either buyers of legit games will get shafted as well, or that it's another piece of crap as usual.

Take your pick.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I'd like to go with legit gamers getting the shaft, please.

Comment

Unless some value has been written in your registration database, forcing you to do a complete reinstall of Windows if you wish to play the game again.

Asmodean
                            Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean

Unless some value has been written in your registration database, forcing you to do a complete reinstall of Windows if you wish to play the game again.

Asmodean
                              Or delete it with a registry editer.
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                              X