Halo for PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halo for PC

Just picked it up. Great fun to play this with a mouse and keyboard with higher resolutions as well (well, if you didn't have a HDTV anyway ). I'm having a blast playing it.

Haha, Bill thought he could get me to get an X-Box because of keeping games like this off PCs for a year or so, but I'm patient, I wait (while playing it at friends' houses ).

Any of the rest of you picked this up?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Not yet, and while I did hear it has great graphics, it has been terribly ported, with constant drops in frames per second, many below 30 fps even in top-notch hardware specs.

Do us a favour:
    Go to http://www.fraps.com and run the program before playing Halo. Then tell us how often it drops below 30 fps with your PC specs.
    The game doesn't support Anti Aliasing, so don't bother checking its performance with it... Don't know about Anisotropic Filtering, so go ahead and try it please.

Thanks!
    "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
    Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
    Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
    Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

I'll do it when I play tomorrow . Sleepy time now .
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Hadn't even heard it had come out yet, thanks for the heads up.

Comment

I'll probably pick this up as soon as I get around to doing my upgrade.

Comment

It actually just came out. It was still in the boxes (not on the shelf) when I went to the Game store .

Comment

Downloaded a couple of days ago (oops, shouldn't have said that really), and I'm loving it. My graphics card isn't really up to the really fancy stuff (GeForce4 MX), so I can't have things like shadows and specular lighting, and I can only play it in 800x600 before it gets a bit sluggish, but it's still fantastic.
              "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Hanson
                Downloaded a couple of days ago (oops, shouldn't have said that really), and I'm loving it. My graphics card isn't really up to the really fancy stuff (GeForce4 MX), so I can't have things like shadows and specular lighting, and I can only play it in 800x600 before it gets a bit sluggish, but it's still fantastic.
                Try it with an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro/XT. Now THAT's a video card!
                "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Originally posted by Zealot

Try it with an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro/XT. Now THAT's a video card!
                  Have you tried it on said card? I have a 9700 Pro and look forward to testing it out on Halo.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld

Have you tried it on said card? I have a 9700 Pro and look forward to testing it out on Halo.
                    No, and of course yours' better. But little more, and much more expensive.
                    Good buy though, IMO.

Comment

Re: Halo for PC

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      Haha, Bill thought he could get me to get an X-Box because of keeping games like this off PCs for a year or so, but I'm patient, I wait (while playing it at friends' houses ).
                      If you think about it, it was (and still is) a brilliant business decision.

Bungie had as part of their purchase agreement a guarantee that Halo would be allowed to come out on PC. So it had to at some point.

MS waited until they began giving Halo away for free with Xboxes before it came out on PC, and just in time to get a whole bunch of PC users hooked on Halo 1 because Halo 2 comes out on Xbox, and will never be out on PC, early next year -- and it looks way better.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Zealot
                        No, and of course yours' better. But little more, and much more expensive.
                        Good buy though, IMO.
                        /me will try it on his Radeon 9800 Pro overclocked to 486MHz core (Pro is 380MHz, XT is 412MHz).

Now that is a video card.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

For the record, here are the Halo benchmarks: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1890&p=9

It's amazing that the Xbox, with a 733MHz Pentium III and a GeForce 4, gets such great framerates -- this was at a time when no one had programmed for the GeForce 4 yet and the Xbox was in a beta state, too.

Shows you just how much more efficient console hardware is.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

* Asher will try it on his Radeon 9800 Pro overclocked to 486MHz core (Pro is 380MHz, XT is 412MHz).

Now that is a video card.
                            Congrats on the Overclock, if you have it truly stable you have there a great video card! Hercules?

Comment

It's an ATI, but I took off the stock cooling and replaced it with a Zalman heatpipe with fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X