yet more historical empire builders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yet more historical empire builders

War! age of imperialism is about to be released, and some time soon we'll get Crusader Kings and Victoria from Paradox. And Rome Total War.

It will soon be getting to the point where we can compare different ways of modeling the same historical period.

Early modern> EU2 vs Imperialism 2
    Industrial age>Imperialism vs Victoria vs War!Age of Imperialism
    Medieval>Medieval Total War vs Crusader Kings
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Hmm, I think you'll end up comparing genres rather than modelling techniques.

Comment

/me distrusts exclamation marks even though WBC2 had one
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
        Hmm, I think you'll end up comparing genres rather than modelling techniques.
        I guess i meant models in the very broad sense.

Yeah at this point its RTS vs TBS vs TBS/RTS - still that could raise interesting points. And i think some questions (number of provinces, tech trees, political models, etc) will transcend the pausable real time versus turnbased distinction.

I mean in the way that one can discuss that SMG has facings and morale, without reference to the fact that its real time.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

It's easy:
          EU2 wins over Imperalism 2
          Victoria wins over W!AoI
          CK wins over M:TW
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
            It's easy:
            Victoria wins over W!AoI
            well two of your choices havent even come out yet, so that shows a LOT of faith in Paradox

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
              It's easy:
              Victoria wins over W!AoI
              well i hadnt meant for this thread to become the comparison thread, but as long as youve started:

Care to go into more detail on EU2 vs Imp2?
              (Im definitely planning on buying EU2 anyway)

Comment

Well, I'm afraid it's more of a personal taste than actual good arguments. I like EU2 very much(I see it as one of the best games ever made), and I didn't like Imperialism 1. After what I've read about it, it won't be anything like EU2. Yes, I know this isn't very good arguments, but as mentioned, I really don't have any better. Others may be free to come with better arguments though... If it is anything specific you want to know, I might be of better use.
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Imperialism 2 is a pretty old game, isn't it?
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
                    Imperialism 2 is a pretty old game, isn't it?
                    1999, IIRC.

Nikolai may be getting imperialism 2 confused with War! age of imperialism (due for release any day now?), from a different designer and publisher then the imperialisms, but confusingly covers the same period as the original imperialism, (also the period of Victoria) and is turn based like the imperialisms.

Couldnt they have come up with a more original title? I'll give this to Paradox, they certainly come up with distinctive titles.
                    Last edited by lord of the mark; October 3, 2003, 12:50.

Comment

War! age of imperialism is a board game conversion, I believe.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

War! age of imperialism is a board game conversion, I believe.
                        ergo they couldnt change the name?

Comment

Yes, and it's probably not even in the same class as games like Victoria and Total War.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Yes, and it's probably not even in the same class as games like Victoria and Total War.
                            pardon, but isnt Vickie based on the EU engine, which in turn was adapted from a board game? Or is this the difference between an adaption and a conversion?

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

pardon, but isnt Vickie based on the EU engine, which in turn was adapted from a board game? Or is this the difference between an adaption and a conversion?
                              Was EU adapted from a board game? Must've been a damn good one.

But I think War! age of Imperialism is a pretty straight conversion, and I don't expect it to have any more complexity or depth then risk.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                              X