What's the best PC D&D game ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best PC D&D game ever?

Well, a lot of people are talking D&D games at the moment, and I felt like making a poll. I hope I didn't miss any. Post your reasons too (and mention the worst one as well if you like)

I apologise if I got any of the English titles wrong

-Jam
    Pool of Radiance (gold box, not the newer one)
    4.35%
    Curse of the Azure Bonds
    0.00%
    Secret of the Silver Swords
    0.00%
    Pools of Darkness
    0.00%
    Champions of Krynn
    4.35%
    Deathknights of Krynn
    4.35%
    Neverwinter Nights (Old DOS game)
    0.00%
    Baldur's Gate (+TotSC)
    4.35%
    Baldur's Gate 2 (+ToB)
    39.13%
    Icewind Dale (+HoW)
    4.35%
    Icewind Dale 2
    0.00%
    Pool of Radiance 2 (the newer one)
    0.00%
    Neverwinter Nights
    13.04%
    the Temple of Elemental Evil
    4.35%
    You forgot MY favorite, Jamski :angry: (write in)
    21.74%
    Banana Option 3.5
    0.00%
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

I'm not familiar with all these titles but voted for Icewind Dale.

Creating an entire party from scratch was great, lots of hack and slash, and the adherence to ADandD rules (especially spellcasting) was fantastic.
    "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

It is of course Daggerfall

Asmodean
      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

I haven't played any of these. The last DnD games I bought were in a TSR collection and every single one of them was terrible. This was probably six or seven years ago so I'm sure things have changed but I've been so disappointed in the past.

Comment

HARRY! You must try some of them...

Well actually, the older ones are the good ones, so maybe not...

I didn't think Daggerfall was an "official" D&D product

/me is prepared to be proved wrong *

-Jam
          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

Oh...they have to be official.

Then Daggerfall does not count.

In that case I can not voice an oppinion, since the only one I have played was Baldurs Gate, and I didn't like it.

Asmodean
            Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

I didn't like Baldurs Gate either. The idea of meeting basically useless party members along the way sucked.

II is slightly better, at least graphics and gameplay-wise.
              "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

I found most of the party members were stronger than MY character. But Baldur's Gate games are definitely NOT for powergamers.

-Jam

Comment

Baldur's Gate I, definitely. It was the heir apparent of the Ultima series that Ultima IX wasn't. Some very interesting joinable party members (Xzar and Monty, GO! ), a very manageable isometric perspective, common-sense application of the AD&D ruleset, gorgeous landscapes, and plenty of adventure off the beaten path of the main plot. Low-level adventuring is the best; more novelty, more excitement, more genuine danger to your welfare, less monty haul! The dialogue was well-written, droll and hilarious in spots, and the plot was better than BGII's "evil wizard bent on world domination and revenge" shtick. You unraveled the Iron Throne conspiracy in onion lairs. Best wizard boss ever; Daeveron! "So, the stoic adventuerers have found their way down to my lair..." he purrs.

Started a trend and revitalized a genre; Baldur's Gate is my pick for best of the lot. Those old gold-box games are nice for nostalga but little else. Icewind Dale wouldn't be possible without Baldur's Gate obviously. It sported more beauteous art and improvements in spell affects but was ultimately a more shallow game; totally hack-and-slash and didn't even put on airs for role-playing.
                  "I wake. I work. I sleep. I die. The dark of space my only sky. My life is passed, and all I've been will never touch the earth again." --The Ballad of Sky Farm 3, Anonymous, Datalinks

Comment

Daggerfall isn't even an unofficial D&D product. It has nothing in common with D&D at all.

And it's easily baldur's gate, with NWN being the best in multiplayer regards.
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Hmmm BGII has got to be my fav! Enuf Said
                      Then i remembered thinking to myself "Holy Jesus what are these god damn animals"----> "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"

Comment

My favorite game was a little gem called "Dragon Strike". This game is a 3D flight sim where you ride a dragon! Down your enemies with fireballs or at the time of your mighty lance. If you're at a high altitude and fall off the Dragon, he'll actually rush down to pick you up.

It's an oldie though, but the best PC D&D game IMHO. A certain abandonware site which we are forbidden to talk about hosts this game

Comment

Let's keep it that way.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I thought Dragonstrike was based on Anne McCaffery's books? Must check this out by looking at the site that mustn't be mentioned on Google

-Jam

Comment

UMMMMM, PLANESCAPE:TORMENT ANYONE?!?!?!?!?!?

ACK!
                              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                              X