OT: Dominions: Priests, Prophets & Pretenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Dominions: Priests, Prophets & Pretenders

Hey, has anyone ever heard of this game? Well, if not, and if you like fantasy tbs games, then you may want to check this one out...here is the link:

here are the features from the website:

Features:
    * 1-14 Players. Play single player or with up to 13 friends (hotseat, PbEM, TCP/IP).
    * More than 600 units.
    * More than 400 unique spells.
    * More than 300 magic items.
    * Design your own God by choosing his physical form, magic skills and how his dominion affects the world.
    * Dominion. Make sure that the dominion of enemy gods doesn't enter and corrupt your lands.
    * The worlds most famous heroes will be granted heroic abilities that grows with their fame.
    * Mercenaries are bought on a global market, all players can bid, but only one will get them.
    * Build fortresses to protect your lands and to boost your production. Fortresses must be besieged before they can be stormed.
    * Huge automatic battles with hundreds of units.
    * Create your own monsters and scenarios.

I bought the full version, and this I DO NOT regret....

Although, if you try out the demo, give it a real chance...the game is VERY deep...complex....but once you "get it", you will love it....probably....

Also, shrapnelgames are publishing the sequal, Dominions II: The Ascension Wars.

Here is the link to the product page:

Dominions II looks to be even better, with more more more added....here is the features:

1. Epic turn-based fantasy gameplay. Up to seventeen people can play at once thanks to the simultaneous turn structure. For those who would rather play solo the computer opponents put up fierce competition for those 3 AM gaming sessions.

2. All new graphics in the sequel. The interface has been overhauled and streamlined, the map looks like it could be found in the front of your favorite fantasy novel, and the battle scenes are now in three-dimensional glory.

3. New map filters that help players instantly assess the world situation. Easily locate fortress locations, temples, or how far your dominion stretches. Additionally, the map is zoomable.

4. A nice twist on mercenaries: mercs up for recruitment are available to all players and will only end up fighting for the cause of the highest bidder.

5. While every fantasy strategy game has the concept of heroes in Dominions 2 heroes really need to depend on being heroic. The top ten commanders will enter into the Hall of Fame, where they will be bestowed various heroic abilities. The longer they can stay in the Hall of Fame, the more kudos are awarded.

6. Taking the sword to your opponents is similar to a good wargame. Morale losses can lead to routs and assassinating the enemy commander is a nicely proven formula for success. Magic and the power of your would-be god also plays a huge part in battle and you can even commit battlefield summonings.

7. A cornucopia of creatures, items, and spells. The item manual weighs in at 71 pages, while the spell book is a massive 88 pages long.

8. The amount one can do in one turn is staggering. Just check out these phases in the turn: recruit, research, empowerment, forge, rituals, magic battles, search, prayers, blood hunt, luck, assassinations, friendly movement, movement, storm castle, enchantments, magic items, sneak, build, special orders, income, starvation, upkeep, dominion, site effects, heal, mercs, and scouting.

9. More nations to play than the original Dominions! More units, more monsters, and more spells!

10. Less micromanagment than the original and helpful pop-ups that describe the various gameplay mechanics makes Dominions 2 an easy game for new players to get involved with.

11. Easy to grasp, gamers will enjoy creating new maps for the game with the included map editor.

12. Playable on all the major operating systems: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and Solaris.

The beta testers on the shrapnel forums:

"Cripes, I've been editing those spell and item lists, plus the manual, and my editing partner is going over the units now. Believe me, this game has CONTENT! (rubbing tired fingers)

I guess there's no way I won't come off biased since I've been helping beta-test it and all, but I swear I'm being honest when I say this is the best game I've played in years. It leaves any other fantasy TBS game since Master of Magic in the dust, and I've been an avid player of HOMM, AOW, and the others. I haven't taken a peek to see what the costs are, but I can't believe it isn't worth it. Even after playing it for weeks now, I'd turn around and pay normal game prices (they run $50-60 US or higher around here) for it in a flash." posted by Psitticine, shrapnelgames.com forums

"Don't forget that you will need to spend some money on therapy to get off this game once you start playing it. Believe me, I know what I’m talking about. " posted by Daynarr, shrapnelgames.com forums

There is just so much to talk about in Dominions...I cannot possibly sum it all up...but just a few things that I like:

1. spells....there are so many spells...and i think all of them are useful for different situations...

2. huge battles...so far, my largest battle has been about 250 troops per side, 2 sides...even though the battles are not directly controlled by the player (thank God, that many troops, with spells and such....), the battle are impressive

3. The epic feel...There is just a feeling of epic-ness in the game...and many times, the battles REALLY mean something...like when Bernlad the Green Knight (a hero of mine, while playing as the Kingdom of Man) killed an opposing nations Pretender-God during a fortress assault...also, when I broke the seige of my home province...I was outnumbered, but still won...

4. The nations....Dominions isn't your typical fantasy setting game...there are no orcs, elves, ect....instead, there is pseudo-fantasy based nations...like Vanheim, and Jotunheim, both are based on Norse mythology....Marignon, fantasy based French...Man, Arthurian-Briton...Pythium, fantasy based Roman Empire....

5. "Just one more turn" HAS INDEED RETURNED!!!! The first week I had Dominions I, I played one day for 9 hours straight...sorry, but I have NEVER played a video game that long, in one sitting...and even then, i had to force myself from the computer...needed sleep for work that nite (3rd shift)...

I know this has been a long post....but really, especially if you like fantasy based tbs games...CHECK THIS ONE OUT!!!!

(oh, and Apolyton, have you guys checked out this game????? might be a good addition to your site....maybe)

I think that's a perfect post for the "Other Games" forum.

Comment

sorry, couldn't really find the "other games" forum (found it now though...)...that is why i put "OT" in the title....move it please....

again, sorry....

Comment

I played the demo a while ago. It was quite good. I liked the various fantasy nations, although I hate the name of 'Man'. Couldn't they have called them Avalon, or Albion, or something like that?

Comment

Nice little game, I wouldn't pay for it, though - but maybe the sequal. I haven't had any luck finding a full version of it through alternative methods, however.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
          X