No announcement yet.

The bin diver strikes again:Myst for $3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the criticism was that there was nothing to do. Some people solved the puzzles fast and were deeply unimpressed at how shallow it was.
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    H.Poincaré

Comment

I thought Myst was supposed to be the biggest selling game ever? 5 million copies or something like that?
      Are we having fun yet?

Comment

It was at one time. I don't know now after the The Sims.

Comment

Myst is a great game! You must compare it to the games around at its release, not the standards of today... That being said, even at full price today I'd buy it, so the bin diver is only to be congratulated...

It's the first (and only) puzzle game I've solved completely. After Myst I quickly picked up Riven, Morpheus, Blackout, Atlantis, and two more which I can't spell , and recently Myst III. All of them good games (well, I didn't really like Atlantis). The only reason I haven't played these to the end is simply lack of time...

The only thing I don't like with games like this is the lack of interaction with an AI (never thought I'd miss the AI!) and the repetetive wandering around when stuck and not having a clue what to do.

Carolus

Comment

Originally posted by Carolus Rex
            Myst is a great game! You must compare it to the games around at its release, not the standards of today... That being said, even at full price today I'd buy it, so the bin diver is only to be congratulated...

It's the first (and only) puzzle game I've solved completely. After Myst I quickly picked up Riven, Morpheus, Blackout, Atlantis, and two more which I can't spell , and recently Myst III. All of them good games (well, I didn't really like Atlantis). The only reason I haven't played these to the end is simply lack of time...

The only thing I don't like with games like this is the lack of interaction with an AI (never thought I'd miss the AI!) and the repetetive wandering around when stuck and not having a clue what to do.

Carolus

Yup - the puzzles for the most part are not massively intellectually challenging, just a lot of running around and trying different things. and its particularly frustrating cause of the difficulties of finding stuff in the dark graphics. For example I totally figured out everything about the "forechamber imager" but would NEVER have actually found the place to run it if I hadnt checked a hint site on the web. Ive gotten to channelworld, and am frustrated at the difficulty of turning around, following a path etc.

I mean the graphics are pretty and its nice to have a story, and yes id buy it again for $3, but I wouldnt buy a game like this for $20 or more. Definitely NOT planning on getting Riven. Id be willing to get another adventure game, but would want to know what is different about it.

Im glad this game appealed to the masses, and brought folks into the hobby, and there IS a lot thats cool about it, but I find it rather ungripping, im afraid.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

do you like any adventure games?
              Care to explain what Myst has to do with Adventure Games? A stupid puzzle fest...
              Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
              And notifying the next of kin
              Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Jac de Molay
                Myst and The sims fall into that sub-genre known as Chick Games.

Kind of like "Chick" movies.
                Absolutely. Couldn't agree more.

Heck, I've already gotten $3 worth of entertainment from this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Jac de Molay
                  Kind of like "Chick" movies.
                  I believe you're reaching for the term, "Chick Flick".

Comment

Oh, well, I liked Myst a lot and I think Riven is the best game ever.
                    A masterpiece that as a whole has a soul, much more than the sum of its mere parts and aspects and technical details which taken singularly of course have ben perfectioned and outdated over time.

If that qualifies me as shallow and stupid to some genius minds here, I don't care, I bow to their superiority and will go on the same relishing the grateful memories of having had the opportunity to play those two games.

In Myst the puzzles were rather unrelated to each other, it's true. Yet, most of them already required some thinking and not just "pixel hunting" or trying whatever you could till you stumbled in a solution.

If you wanted a stupid shallow puzzle game example, think of "Martian Chronicles". Or the Gabriel Knight series.

What Myst lacks, Riven has.
                    The background story and its interaction with the puzzles is brought to a maximum.
                    To solve some, you needed to learn the *culture* of the inhabitants of the created Fifth Age. Hell, you even had to go in a school, fiddle with what could seem just a gadget toy applet put there, and learn to read the numbers of Riven foreign alphabet.

LotM, if you only are barley intrigued by Myst, even if you think it has flaws and it's not properly implemeted, DO get Riven if you only can. You should not only if you actually find out that you HATE Myst genre.

___
                    Oh, and read the BOOKS.
                    I bought them from Amazon and eBay last year, and if you only barely enjoyed Mike Ely's Alpha Centauri trilogy, they're WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY better, and actually help and enhance the understanding and enjoyment of Myst/Riven games
                    I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

Congratulations, you're the first serious gamer I've ever met who thinks Myst isn't a steaming, pretentious pile of excrement, an empty husk of overrated graphics stretched like a giant's condom over a barely coherent series of cheap puzzle gamettes.
                      Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                      Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

I disapprove of this attempt at revisionist history. Myst was always a controversial game, but in no way can it be said that fans, even amongst hardcore gamers, were uncommon. It was always a love-it or hate-it game, with the 2 sides pretty evenly matched.

Comment

I sold the original Myst game(for Playstation) on ebay for 15 bucks!

Comment

Originally posted by MariOne

LotM, if you only are barley intrigued by Myst, even if you think it has flaws and it's not properly implemeted, DO get Riven if you only can. You should not only if you actually find out that you HATE Myst genre.
                            Barely intrigued is about the right way to put it. Ok, I wont say I'll never get Riven. It does sound more interesting based on your description. But lets say its still not near the top of my list of the next games to buy.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

My only comment is about the thread topic...bin diving.

It is the single most underrated activity in the gaming world I think.

Bin diving is like gaming archaeology. A true adventure that can be satisfying, and disappointing. Treasures ARE occasionally waiting to be found.

Sure, you can look like a geek and fool digging through the usually messy bins, but do NOT be deterred!!!!!

You just NEVER know when the usually disappointing excavations will turn up a jewel.

(especially a game that you got rid of, and then regretted..heh)
                              While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Working...
                              X