No announcement yet.

Anyone play Tropico?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The workers really don't make sense. If the office -> site time was too great, they would start by building portakabins etc on site, not plod back and forth. There are gold/diamond/oil/gas mining operations in the most desolate places on the planet, for goodness sake, and they don't need a three star hotel complex down the road to get them to do their jobs. The pay is high and the holidays are long to let them spend it, period.

That and the inability of them to build anything on a slope properly drove me to return the game within 10 days to get my money back, something I don't often do. If a sim is going to be primarily focussed on constructing things it should not be sloppy at it. At least Tropico 2 progressed in that respect.
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    H.Poincaré

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone play Tropico?

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

And you said you weren't a brutal Stalinist. I've done that too, just for fun, but I'm normally a nice guy.
      Me, a Stalinist?

I usually play the "Leftist Author" since it seems closest to me.

On the other hand I think I might play a game as Somoza, just to see how one can manage using eliminations and arrests.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Try playing as a religous fascist. It's really the only way to be a cruel dictator and stay in charge.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

And here I'm always the Silver Spoon elected for family values, with progressive policies and wages and lots of cabarets.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Presumably you could kill everyone else and have you and your soldiers live off foreign development aid.

I can't seem to get enough people to visit my pubs and cabarets. They all seem to like the movies though.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Entertainment? My people where always far too busy planting the crops for any of that.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                Presumably you could kill everyone else and have you and your soldiers live off foreign development aid.

I can't seem to get enough people to visit my pubs and cabarets. They all seem to like the movies though.
                Radio and TV stations, but especially radio, are also big money makers. The problem with the cabarets is cost, and the quality of workers there - same with pubs and restaurants.
                When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
                  Try playing as a religous fascist. It's really the only way to be a cruel dictator and stay in charge.
                  I'm always trying to make some person who more or less looks like having a split personality, like some Zeelot who was voted in as a communist, and knows everything about bussiness (Ok, not sure if those are possible in the game, it's been a while since my last game, but you get the point!)
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

Radio and TV stations, but especially radio, are also big money makers. The problem with the cabarets is cost, and the quality of workers there - same with pubs and restaurants.
                    I always have mine doing the "voice of the worker" thing.

Only feebs vote.

Comment

Another thing:

How do you stop pollution? There are two edicts which don't seem to have much effect, and you can beautify the affected area with trees, shrubs and fountains, but the greenies just keep pissing and moaning whatever I do.

Should I just give up on the environment and throw them all in the dungeon, or what?
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

I always pick naturalist or green thumb, one or the other, to reduce it. The biggest thing is overall density - the amount of pollution from any given building is pretty constant, and has a radius of effect. Those big bleeding red areas are the result of overlapping effects from many buildings, but what you can do is limited by the island size you have and how level it is.

The greenies are never very politically significant, so you can always ignore them.

Voice of the worker, bah! What the ignorant scum revel in is low brow music and American reruns, plus coupons from the newspapers.

Comment

Thanks - I'll try that next time.
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                          X