Who used to play SPI games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who used to play SPI games?

I owned Sinai, 6th Fleet, Red Star/White Star, After the Holocaust, Oil War. (ok, so i had a thing for speculative future history )
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

I had never owned any, but I used to play some of the SPI games at the gamers' club. Tend to be fairly complicated.

They also put out a rag called Strategy and Tactics IIRC, and each issue came with a simple game. I still have some of those.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

ahh paper wargames from the days when i time, space and friends who were happy to sit around all day.

Still own quite a few but they live under the bed or up in the loft... Atlantic Wall, Global War, Empires of the Middle Ages, Conquistador, Sixth, second and probably 7th fleet - were they SPI or Victory ? Also have a large number of strategy and Tactics some mint - must look on ebay see if they're worth anything.

A reasonable SPI site at , prompted a few momories anyway.

http://etloh.8m.com/st.html

Comment

Victory Games
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Nobody else played SPI games?

BTW, Simon Redmondson made a patch for Civ and posted it on CompuServe.

Yeah, I know, that's prehistoric

Or is his name Redmond Simonson? I can't even remember.

Comment

I'm sure I've played loads of them, but the only one I can definitely put a name to is Swords & Sorcery. Played that endlessly back in my school days, especially the 3 player orc revolution scenario.
            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
            H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
              Nobody else played SPI games?

BTW, Simon Redmondson made a patch for Civ and posted it on CompuServe.

Yeah, I know, that's prehistoric

Or is his name Redmond Simonson? I can't even remember.
              dunnigan authors books on military affairs, and runs a website on military stuff called Strategypage - its rather on the hawkish side, so if that will lead to disillusion with a hero, dont go there. He also has a section of the website that covers wargaming, but its not real active, IIRC.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

What are SPI games? Pen and paper, like TSI/DnD? Swords and Sorcery sounds familiar but I think I may have played it on PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Seldon
                  What are SPI games? Pen and paper, like TSI/DnD? Swords and Sorcery sounds familiar but I think I may have played it on PC.

Board games, generally of the historical wargame variety, though they dabbled with Scifi/fantasy settings. I beleive they did an RPG type game as well, though im really not familiar with it. I basically played the wargames. They were eventually acquired by TSR of DnD fame, so there may be some confusion.

Comment

Yes, they did came out with an RPG system called Dragon Quest. Quite good.

Comment

Forgotten Swords & Sorcery - i can remember X the unknown and zepplins. I also found the combat system where leaders gave column shifts could be a bit extreme. Some of the Imperial leaders i think gave a five column shift which meant 1-1 was the best odds you were going to get.

Comment

Oh it had its flaws, but I found many of the scenarios were nicely balanced when you learned how to play them well. Some of the random events could seriously disrupt that, of course
                        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                        H.Poincaré

Comment

I had "Empires of the Middle Ages," "7th Fleet," "Fall of the Roman Empire." "Oil War," that "Swords & Sorcery" game spoken of above [was that it's name? I don't remember].

There was also a really good Star Wars rip off called "Freedom in the Galaxy." It was played on a strategic level, but you could separate out your leaders and send them on missions--which was really imporatant for the rebel player. Your characters could have weapons, personal shields and other objects. I was also the first game I know of where your charcters could have companions--'droids or beasties with special powers.

--or was this an Avalon Hill game??

Comment

There's also an SPI espionage game, forgot the name though.

I think it's an SPI game anyway

Comment

Urb - Did that espionage game take place just before WWII? If so, I had it too. And I also don't remember with the name or whether it was SPI.

Comment

Working...
                              X