Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magic: the Gathering goes hybrid fantasy! End of the world as we knew it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic: the Gathering goes hybrid fantasy! End of the world as we knew it?

A Peruvian website has obtained (no doubt from mtgnews or another spoon-fed "rumor" site) artwork from the upcoming Mirrodin expansion.

The tone is decidedly science fiction-y. The official Wizards of the Coasts boards are in uproar, predicting (yet again) the death of Magic: the Gathering.

Now I'm no expert, but I think the new art looks super-cool. And I also question how people could accept Anne McCaffrey's Dragons of Pern and not accept hybrid fantasy in Magic.
    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

I see Icy Manipulator is back ... and I agree: the artwork does look mostly good
    "I didn't invent these rules, I'm just going to use them against you."

Comment

Yeah, do you get planeswalkers in Dragonriders of Pern? Eh, do you?
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Magic fans are so conservative. The best thing about the game is how the rules are constantly changing and updating to keep it fresh, and yet any time something is changed the fans predict doom and gloom for the game.
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Besides, they're probably fakes anyway.
          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
            The best thing about the game is how the rules are constantly changing and updating to keep it fresh
            That's why you need a team of lawyers to figure things out
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

End of the world? Doubt it. Especially since I hardly know what it's all about. Is it this card thing?
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

None of that art looks especially sci-fi to me. The Magic game has had similiar stuff since way back in the beginning, especially in the Antiquities expansion, the one with all the artifacts.

And it does look pretty cool.

Comment

Platinum Angel- looks nearly unglued
                  cIV list: cheats
                  Now watch this drive!

Comment

This game became crap around Mirage if not sooner.
                    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                    -Joan Robinson

Comment

This game was, is, and always will be witchcraft!

Comment

for 8th edition they are changing the card face.
                        fortunately, the cards back is not changed.
                        look at this:
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by zorbop; August 18, 2003, 02:44.

Comment

I have some of the new-face cards, and my verdict is definitely .

Platinum Angel- looks nearly unglued
                          Have you heard about what her ability allegedly is?
                          Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

So if you have spent loads of cash on cards are they suddenly worthless?

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised, the cards are from the same company (Wizards of the Coast) that hold the Dungeons and Dragons franchise, and they're always bringing out new editions, meaning one has to buy all the new books (books, not just book) every year or so. Of course characters created in the old system are obselete. I wouldn't be surprised if they're appying the same marketing stratagy to the M:TG cards too.
                              But WotC are not alone... Games Workshop, the international board and war games company has a policy of regular new rule editions, requiring the customer to purchase not only the new rule sest, but whole new lead figure armies. Of course, people do.
                              At least people are getting wise to it slowly. There are clubs which play only with old rule sets, and how many people rushed out to buy Windows XP and de-installed 98 or 2000? This shows there is some hope for the endless update money grabbing.

-Jam
                              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Working...
                              X