Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone who wants to talk about "1830 Railroads & RB" or UFO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone who wants to talk about "1830 Railroads & RB" or UFO?

These are good strategy games too IMO and I didn't see anything about them on these forums ....
    Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain.

OH UFO Threads pop up quite regularry :=)
    But more geared towards UFO: Apocalypse.
    Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

1830? Heh, I know one of the original developers of 1830
      Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

I know several cheats for UFO.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

CapTVK, your friend have done a very good thing to implement this great game. I really enjoy the vast amount of possibilities generated by these simple rules.
          This game must be popularized :-)

Comment

UFO is great One of the best strategy games. I dunno WTF railroads is.
            money sqrt evil;
            My literacy level are appalling.

Comment

1830 was originally a railroad boardgame by Avalon Hill. A computer version was released in the early nineties by Simtex (of Master of Magic fame). They made the AI shine in this game. The goal was to earn as money much as possible by investing in and expanding railroad companies and also on the stockmarket. The stockmarket made this game very special because you could also become a robber baron by buying up stocks in other companies and wrest control from another player.
              Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Comment

Dug out my orginal board game version of 1829 (southern to be exact) recently. Much more emphasis on running trains and engineering than 1830 from what i remember.

Comment

1830 is a very good railroad game I still play it on occasion. The computer version can be a bit daunting at the start but it's got an intuitive interface. It's actually gotten better with age at some points because it the AI can calculate its moves much faster on modern PC's.

It can be found at the "Site that may not be named".

Comment

Site that may not be named
                    Is it the site with copyrighted name?
                    money sqrt evil;

Comment

Try http://www.the-underdogs.org/letter.php?id=Numbers. They claim for it to be abandonware. I am not sure but it probably is .... It is really small to download (4-5MB).

Comment

Let's start speaking on UFO!

Do you belive that sectoids may be real allies of human?
                        money sqrt evil;

Comment

In Apocalypse they ended up partly allies. (Well, the half-human half-sectiod people were).

The snakes were my favourite enemy to go up against. They looked fearsome but they weren't too hard to kill, and as a bonus they stood out in combat environments.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I hate all the train games where the track you can build is limited by the tile set. "I'm sorry sir you can't build your transcontinental railway straight across this open plain because at the moment only a right curve, crossroads and Y shape are available". If I remember correctly, this is one of them.
                            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                            H.Poincaré

Comment

1830: Also i did not enjoy playing this. Stock prices change in very strange way.

UFO: Sectoids were enslaved by Ethereals before, so they are not very aggressive but their culture and way of life was completely "wasted" by ethereals.

I hate Snakeman's crab's.
                              money sqrt evil;

Comment

Working...
                              X