Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

was 1999 the best year for strategy games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Osweld
    What ever year Europa Universalis was released was the best year for strategy games. (outside of the good ol' days, of course )
    Europa universalis, a genre busting break through.

Combat Mission, reviving wargames. Innovative.

Shogun TW - hybrid RTS/TBS, a genre buster?

The Sims, virtually a new genre, spawning a line so popular its almost its own industry, bringing new demographics to gaming.

Plus a bunch of games im not too familiar with, but all had their following: TBS: CTP2, SE4. RTS: Tzar, Cossacks.
    Wargames: Panzer General3, Rising Sun.
    Also Jagged Alliance2 and Majesty(subgenres?)

So tops 1999, the best since 1996?
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

one good game doesn't make a year IMO
      Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by War4ever
        one good game doesn't make a year IMO
        which year are you referring to?
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

no particular year , but basing a good year on one game, say civ2 or EU2 or ..... isn't a logical way to prove which year was the best.

Comment

The year Railroad Tycoon and the year Civ1/Command HQ were released are both highlights. But that's in the past, which has come and gone.

The best years are still to come...
            Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

no particular year , but basing a good year on one game, say civ2 or EU2 or ..... isn't a logical way to prove which year was the best.
              thats why in all three cases i attempted to list several games that i thought supporter the designation.

Comment

i wasn't so much criticizing your opinion so much as i thought some other people were making blanket statements about other games.... ie oswald and eu.... but again its not to slight anyone, its just one game doesn't make a year, no matter how good the game is...

Comment

i wasn't so much criticizing your opinion so much as i thought some other people were making blanket statements about other games.... ie oswald and eu.... but again its not to slight anyone, its just one game doesn't make a year, no matter how good the game is...
                  thats what was striking - he mentioned only EU, but it turns out that was the year of Combat Mission, Shogun and the Sims.

Comment

But can the strength of those good games outweigh the direness of The Sims?

Comment

Sorry, but EU does make a good year.
                      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                        thats what was striking - he mentioned only EU, but it turns out that was the year of Combat Mission, Shogun and the Sims.
                        The Sims? Well that just kills everything else, then.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

hehe....the sims was fun to simulate for a few days....it was strikingly easy and dull after about 4 hours.......

glad i got it off kazaa in disk form and wasn't suckered into buying it or its expansions.

shogun was a fun game....... but its like alot of rts never did get around to Combat Mission

Comment

hehe....the sims was fun to simulate for a few days....it was strikingly easy and dull after about 4 hours.......
                            4 hours in gameplay or..?
                            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

1993 was way better. We had Civ1, Moo1, and X-Com 1. I still play each occasionally. However, the year that got me into PC strategy games was 1978 with Empire.
                              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                              2004 Presidential Candidate
                              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

A bad year was 2002. PtW, et. al.

MoO3 makes 2003 a bad year, though GalCiv rectifies this, somewhat

Comment

Working...
                                X