Neverwinter Nights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neverwinter Nights

So is this game worth buying for single player gaming? I liked Baldur's Gate 2 and I'm looking for another AD&D based game now.
    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
    -Joan Robinson

hmm, single player ehh?

I'm not so sure you will like it. A lot of people who hate this game, bought this game expecting something like Baldur's Gate. And it really nothing like Baldur's Gate (except they use the D & D system)

The graphics can get generic after a while, as there are only a set number to choose from. You don't have hand draw tiles you had in Baldur's Gate 2. But the good thing is there are mods and people have added their own tile sets- like snow etc. So the game may be interesting for you if you also download some of the popular modules available for it. The original campaign itself isn't real interesting- but fun enough to play through once. Some people still continue playing that original campaign- those are the die hards players I suppose. Neverwinter Vaults ( I think it is NWvault.ign.com) will help sort through the good modules from the bad. And there are a lot of modules out there.

but where the game shines in my opinion is the ablity to play a fun multiplayer that can be DM'ed (dungeon master) by 1 or even 2 DM's.

Comment

NWN is the MP game. As for single player, the original campaign isn't much, but there's some sheer briliance out there from the module maker community.

And Neverwinter vault - see address above - is the place to find all the content.
      "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
      "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

it is great in MP

Jon Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Another big thumbs down for single player mode. I might get the expansion for online play but even that never really hooked me. It's been on the shelf for months.
          ...tried to sit in my lap while I was standing up. Marlowe
          The revolution is not only televised, but 40% off. T.
          You SCROOOOOOOED it up, Bobby Terry!! Walkin Dude

Comment

I like it. I don't even really have anything against its single-player mode- but then this is coming from someone who DMs third edition, and will take pretty much any chance he can get to play an actual character for a change.
            darkgrendel: DM, writer, and all-around raving lunatic.
            Proud member and administrator of the Wavy Club

And no, I'm not dead.

Comment

actually come to think of it.

I have never played this game in single player. Even the original campaign I played with my brother.

Comment

The reason I ask, is that I'd like a single player game to play while I'm not playing an MMORPG. The trouble with multiplayer games is that you can't really save and quit whenever you want to, and given how little time I have lately, that's been a problem.

I'm really looking forward to The Temple of Elemental Evil, but that doesn't seem to be out yet.
                "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                -Joan Robinson

Comment

NWN has a perfectly good single player mode, the challenge is in finding a single player module that is to your taste. The module that came with the box is not universally liked and it certainly is not up to the standard of BG2, for example.

I've played other modules though which are absolutely terrific, and there is an ever expanding library of those. With NWN you're not buying an adventure. you're buying all the manuals and dice to get you started. Then you have to browse and download the adventures. There's enough there to keep you occupied for a looong time
                  To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                  H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
                    With NWN you're not buying an adventure. you're buying all the manuals and dice to get you started. Then you have to browse and download the adventures.

That's probably the best way to look at it.

The out-of-the-box singleplayer game really isn't up to much IMHO, but if anyone were to write the game off because of that they'd be missing the point.
                    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I can't say I minded the SP campaign. It's nothing like Morrowind (not that anything can be) Building modules for the game is fun and not too hard once you get the hang of scripting (most are already written). Personally, I think the graphics rock when turned on high, witch is possible even with a sad little raedon 9000 pro.
                      cIV list: cheats
                      Now watch this drive!

Comment

Well it was cheap enough, and from the feedback, I assume even if I don't like the SP campaign, there will still be fun modules out there.

Now the real decision begins:

the invincible halfling paladin

or the mostly rogue massivly multiclassed all purpose halfling

or perhaps a rogue/wizard or rogue/cleric halfling

or other (please explain purpose of non-halfling nature).
                        -Joan Robinson

Comment

Non-halfling halfing hunter. With an insatable urge to slay all halflings.
                          *grumbles about work*

Comment

Hmm... the game got studded leather max +dex bonus to AC wrong Wish I had known that in advance. I see this as a direct attempt to weaken my halfling.
                            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Terrific game, IMHO. Had completed the original campaign several times over, but then my HD melted. Since then, I've been using the user-created modules (mainly Penultima), and can't be arsed to redo the original campaign.

Myself, I'm partial to rogue/wizard combinations, or just a single-class rogue.
                              oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Working...
                              X