Help Victor find a game to play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Victor find a game to play

Looks like the port of Escape Velocity: Nova (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/) to windows isn't done yet, so I need something to play.

I don't really like FPS games in general (except when there are like 10 people playing in the same room), and I'm using a laptop with a touch pad, so anything that might be mouse intensive is out.

I'm looking for an RPG or a strategy game (prefferably something that fills both roles, like Age of Wonders 2) to play while I wait.
    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
    -Joan Robinson

I am trying out the demo for RON, and there are many others recommending it. The demo is 200 Mb, but at least it is free.
    But I haven't actually run the demo yet, so we will see...
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

EU2 was filling this gap, but it decided to eat two of my saved games, so I gave up. (By eat I mean, there's a crash that happens every time on a specific date, and the time I saved is a little too close to the crash date).
      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
      -Joan Robinson

Comment

From your description RoN does look suitable. Also, Warcraft 3 is an RTS with a minor role-playing element, and the expansion is coming soon, so that could also be a good bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
          EU2 was filling this gap, but it decided to eat two of my saved games, so I gave up. (By eat I mean, there's a crash that happens every time on a specific date, and the time I saved is a little too close to the crash date).
          Did you change anything in the save-file? That might cause crashes like that one.
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Did you ask at the support part of the EU2 site as I said?
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

No to both. While I could ask for help, I was getting a bit bored of EU2 as it is.

RTS games are mostly not strategy games, they're games about who can produce the most (insert name of relatively powerful unit here) in the shortest amount of time and rush the enemy base with it. Units are pretty generic, and special abilities are difficult to use on multiple units simultaneously (though Warcraft 3 addressed this, it still gets boring pretty quick).
              -Joan Robinson

Comment

What about Galatic Civilizations?
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Try RoN... or, if you really hate RTS, try Morrowind - a great timefiller, and most involving.
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Disciples II ?
                    Our Successor of AoW2 at Lan Games..
                    I dont like it that much but that doesnt mean a Thing :P
                    Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Hmm... is Neverwinter Nights worth buying? I've been meaning to try it, but I didn't really want to spend any money while still paying my MMORPG subscription fees, but now, it's looking like I can finally break that addiction with a different game... maybe...
                      -Joan Robinson

Comment

Lemme see....

I recently got both Galactic Civilization and Rise of Nations. I'll say that I like RoN much better than GalCiv. The minute-est details in the graphics made me hooked. If you zoom in on your farmers, you can see the crops sway in the wind, or you can see 'em toss out grain to the chickens. Each civ has it's own graphics too so that also got me hooked. It's a cross between Age of Empires and Risk so I don't know if you'll like it or not.

Or just save your $$$ and wait for Star Wars Galaxies.
                        Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                        Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                        *****Citizen of the Hive****
                        "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Hmm. Another of those graphics games, eh?

I was looking at Galactic Civilizations, but I don't know when or where it's making an appearance Down Under.

I honestly haven't seen many games recently to get excited over.
                          Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Hey Mr. Prez!

Your location field has been bugging me. Where did "Empires rise and fall, but evil is eternal" come from? I really like that quote.
                            Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                            Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                            *****Citizen of the Hive****
                            "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

[Threadjack]

Enjoy.

[/Threadjack]
                              Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Working...
                              X